GRE Problem #66: orbit of the spacecraft about the Sun?

In summary, The problem is asking to determine the orbit of a spacecraft that is traveling at 1.5 times the speed of Jupiter in its orbit when it is at the same distance from the Sun as Jupiter. By knowing that the spacecraft's speed is greater than the escape velocity, we can conclude that its orbit around the Sun must be hyperbolic. This is because the spacecraft is moving faster than the escape velocity, which is the minimum speed required to escape the gravitational pull of the Sun.
quantumworld
Dear reader,
here is a neat problem, but kindof over the edge.

when it is about the same distance from the Sun as is Jupiter, a spacecraft on a mission to the outer planets has a speed that is 1.5 times the speed of Jupiter in its orbit. Which of the following describes the orbit of the spacecraft about the Sun?
(A) Spiral
(B) Circle
(C) Ellipse
(D) Parabola
(E) Hyperbola

The way I tried to tackle this problem, is by saying that the eccentricity is more than one (it is 1.5), thus it is a hyperbola, which is the correct answer, BUT I don't think it is enough to know that, I mean my answer assumes that Jupiter's orbit is a hyperbola (eccentricity = 1), but I am not sure if that is correct, or even more, I don't know why do I need to know the orbit's of planets in general :rolleyes: . Your contribution is very valuable.

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, the problem (or answer) does not assume that the orbit of Jupiter is hyperbolic.

Think escape velocity! :-)

1. The orbit of Jupiter definitely not hyperbolic!

2. Eccentricity 1 is a parabola, not a hyperbola.
(But the orbit of Jupiter is also not a parabola, it is an ellipse, pretty close to a circle- its eccentricity is very close to 0, not 1.)

Hmm thinking over it a bit, i think quantum is right tho i would be more tended towards thinking that orbit of Jupiter is elliptical.

what can we say abt orbit shapes in the foll cases?
case1 > what if the
velocity of spacecraft = velocity required to maintain circular motion
Answer is straightforward

case2 > what if the
velocity of spacecraft > velocity required to maintain circular motion but
velocity of spacecraft < escape velocity
Answer is straightforward

case3 > what if the
velocity of spacecraft = escape velocity
this is tricky , we need to think in terms of geometry

case 4 > what if the
velocity of spacecraft > escape velocity
again tricky ,need to think in terms of geometry.

Apparently our assumption of the orbit of Jupiter around sun does affect the choice we make. Even elliptical orbit assumption could result in answer of case3 or case4 because we don't know whether 1.5 times Jupiter velocity is going to push it beyond escape velocity.

P.S : Unless ofcourse if we are provided with mass of Jupiter and orbit radius and the actual Jupiter velocity

Tide said:
No, the problem (or answer) does not assume that the orbit of Jupiter is hyperbolic.

Think escape velocity! :-)

Tide,
Could you please give me little more hints... :frown:

HallsofIvy said:
1. The orbit of Jupiter definitely not hyperbolic!

2. Eccentricity 1 is a parabola, not a hyperbola.
(But the orbit of Jupiter is also not a parabola, it is an ellipse, pretty close to a circle- its eccentricity is very close to 0, not 1.)

HallsofIvy,
it was a typo saying that e=1 is a hyperbola, I meant a prabola, sorry about that :blushing:
thanks though, I wasn't sure about jupiter's orbit, but I guess that because we still see jupiter, it must be in a circle or an ellipse, otherwise, we won't be able to see it, please correct me if I am wrong...

Tenaliraman,
:approve: , I do agree with what u said, and I am still confused :confused:

quantumworld said:
Tide,
Could you please give me little more hints... :frown:

Jupiter's orbit is nearly circular. If it were perfectly circular than the escape velocity of the spacecraft (with respect to the SUN!) would be [itex]\sqrt 2[/itex] times Jupiter's speed. Since 1.5 times Jupiter's speed is substantially greater than the escape velocity the speed of the craft will be greater than the escape velocity even allowing for some slight eccentricity in Jupiter's orbit. I don't believe it's called for in this problem but you could, if you wanted to, verify using the actual eccentricity of Jupiter's orbit.

The spacecraft is moving faster than the escape velocity so its "orbit" about the sun must be hyperbolic!

Last edited:
Thanks Tide,

I found this online, so I thought of posting it, in order to clarify the difference between parabolic and hyperbolic orbit as related to the escape velocity...

If the orbit is perfectly circular, the magnitude of the velocity is constant and given by

Vorb = sqrt(GM/r),
where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the gravitating body, and r is the radius of the orbit. An object moving faster than circular velocity will enter an elliptical orbit with a velocity at any point determined by Kepler's laws of planetary motion. If the object moves faster still, it will travel at escape velocity along a parabolic orbit or beyond escape velocity in a hyperbolic orbit.

1. What is the orbit of the spacecraft about the Sun?

The orbit of the spacecraft about the Sun refers to the path that the spacecraft follows as it travels around the Sun. This orbit is typically elliptical in shape and is determined by the spacecraft's speed, direction, and the gravitational pull of the Sun.

2. How is the orbit of the spacecraft about the Sun calculated?

The orbit of the spacecraft about the Sun is calculated using mathematical equations and formulas, such as Kepler's laws of planetary motion. These calculations take into account the mass and velocity of the spacecraft, as well as the mass and gravitational force of the Sun.

3. What factors can affect the orbit of the spacecraft about the Sun?

Several factors can affect the orbit of the spacecraft about the Sun, including the gravitational pull of other planets and celestial bodies, solar wind, and the spacecraft's propulsion system. Changes in these factors can alter the spacecraft's trajectory and orbit around the Sun.

4. How long does it take for the spacecraft to complete one orbit around the Sun?

The time it takes for the spacecraft to complete one orbit around the Sun, also known as its orbital period, depends on its distance from the Sun and its speed. For example, the Earth completes one orbit in 365.25 days, while a spacecraft in a closer orbit may complete an orbit in a matter of hours.

5. Can the orbit of the spacecraft about the Sun change over time?

Yes, the orbit of the spacecraft about the Sun can change over time due to various factors, such as the gravitational pull of other objects, changes in the spacecraft's speed or direction, and external forces like solar wind. These changes can be predicted and accounted for in the spacecraft's trajectory calculations.