The Relaxing Benefits of Whirlpool Bathtubs

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around various topics such as the love for Jacuzzis and whirlpool bathtubs, the installation of a new bathtub, the energy consumption and maintenance of these tubs, the desire for a swimming pool, and a discussion about the TV show Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
As a devout environmentalist, probably my greatest acts of heresy result from my love of Jacuzzis and whirlpool bathtubs. We had a tub at another house and hated to leave it. We just finished installing a new one here and my oh my, what a great thing. The whirlpool tub is really a great compromise between a standard tub and a full size jaccuzi. As long as you don't go overboard and put a small swimming pool in the bathroom, the energy consumption is minimal, there is little to no special maintenance. And they function better that a full sized unit since all of jets are directed at you. I have never found anything short of morphine that is more relaxing. :approve: And they don't even cost and arm and a leg anymore. We bought a very affordable American Standard tub that is perfect for our needs.

Physics news on Phys.org
My house had a jacuzzi, but it was stolen while it was being built and was replaced with a "roman" tub. That was a fight with the realtor, he kept insisting there was a jacuzzi and I kept telling him there wasn't. :grumpy:

Anyway, I'm packing my bathing suit and I''ll be there in a few days Ivan. :biggrin: Have the steaks ready, ok?

Sounds like a party!

So the bathroom is done? Good to hear, did you ever find the matching fixtures you wanted?

My bathroom is so small, I could never fit one in. I have a few friends who have big ones, outside..nice.
I do have a problem if they get to hot, I kind of get queazy feeling.
This is my first house without a swimming pool. I didn't think I would miss it as much as I do, there so much work. But its been 90+degrees for 6 days now and submerging in any kind of water sounds wonderful to me.

You're jealous.

http://www.public.asu.edu/~hyousif/DSC04047.JPG
http://www.public.asu.edu/~hyousif/DSC04048.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
hypatia said:
90+degrees for 6 days.
stop whining, it's been 95-110 degrees here for the past two weeks

whozum said:
You're jealous.

http://www.public.asu.edu/~hyousif/DSC04047.JPG
http://www.public.asu.edu/~hyousif/DSC04048.JPG
[/URL]
of...?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I want that pool...please?

It's mine!

Nice pool. :cry:

I will trade you a cat with wings for it

Integral said:
Sounds like a party!

So the bathroom is done? Good to hear, did you ever find the matching fixtures you wanted?

I found the fixtures but we're not done; though the tub is in and functional. Now I have to figure out where I can steal a dedicated circuit so that it meets code. My breaker box is about, well, it is maxxed out - with the 50A 240V sent to the office. But for the moment an industrial grade extension cord works. :redface:

Anyway, I thought that a thread about great products and ideas might be handy. And the whirlpool bathtub at least makes the first page on my list. :approve:

By the way hypatia, you can get one that fits into the hole for a standard tub.

Whozum, that's a beautiful pool! Unfortunately we could only use it here about two months out of the year! :biggrin: Around here, even the frogs wear wet suits.

I'm going to look into it, I didn't know they came in small sizes.

Evo said:
Anyway, I'm packing my bathing suit and I''ll be there in a few days Ivan. :biggrin: Have the steaks ready, ok?

Okay, but don't worry about the suit. :uhh:

:bugeye:

yomamma said:
stop whining, it's been 95-110 degrees here for the past two weeks
You can quityerbichin' too, young'un. I had 3cm of snow in my yard last week. :grumpy:

Danger said:
You can quityerbichin' too, young'un. I had 3cm of snow in my yard last week. :grumpy:
I'll just put this needle in your arm and you can go right to sleep

--███████---|

it's my special Btoli cure :wink:

has anyone seen BT?

yomamma said:
I'll just put this needle in your arm and you can go right to sleep
Forget it, you sawed-off Frankenstein. Ivan is the only one who can get near me with a needle, and that's only because I know what Tsu puts in them.

yomamma said:
has anyone seen BT?
Quiet, you idiot! Speak not its name lest it appear! Didn't you ever watch Buffy?

Danger said:
Didn't you ever watch Buffy?
oh, my god, no!

yomamma said:
oh, my god, no!
You are culturally deprived.

Danger said:
You are culturally deprived.
Actually, I tried to watch it once, but I was overwhelmed by bad acting and had to turn it off

yomamma said:
Actually, I tried to watch it once, but I was overwhelmed by bad acting and had to turn it off
Nobody ever claimed that it was Shakespeare, but I saw no problem with the acting (and I am very critical about acting). Everyone did an admirable job of portraying the characters as they were originally written, and as they evolved. I loved the original movie when I first saw it, which prompted me to watch the series. After a few years of that I rented the movie again and didn't like it nearly as much as the series. I was sorry to see it end.

you're just senile...

yomamma said:
you're just senile...
Can't be. If I was losing my memory, I'd make sure that the first thing I forget is you. :tongue:

But you have to admit it Danger, you've probably forgotten more than everything yommama has ever learned.

Ivan Seeking said:
But you have to admit it Danger, you've probably forgotten more than everything yommama has ever learned.
There is that. And moreover, I probably forgot it before he was born.

Danger said:
There is that. And moreover, I probably forgot it before he was born.

Hell, I have socks older than him.

Danger said:
Can't be. If I was losing my memory, I'd make sure that the first thing I forget is you. :tongue:
you mean you haven't already? If I was you, I would be annoyed so much by me, I would forget about me.

yomamma said:
I would forget about me.
It's hard to ignore a rash.

Danger said:
It's hard to ignore a rash.
if it's as annoying as me, you would try to forget about it using any method possible

yomamma said:
if it's as annoying as me, you would try to forget about it using any method possible
I am currently attempting it with copious quantities of beer. Unfortunately, my beer tolerance is extremely well developed. I made the same mistake as last week; I brought home a dozen 7 hours ago after work, to last me the weekend. Now I only have 3 left, I still remember you, and I'll have to go out in the rain tomorrow to get more. :cry:

do you have any hard liquor? that should work :wink:

What are the benefits of using a whirlpool bathtub?

Whirlpool bathtubs offer a variety of benefits, including relaxation, improved circulation, and pain relief. The jets in the tub create a massaging effect that can help to soothe sore muscles and joints. The warm water and gentle movement can also promote better blood flow, which can have a positive impact on overall health.

Can using a whirlpool bathtub help with stress and anxiety?

Yes, using a whirlpool bathtub can be a great way to relax and reduce stress and anxiety. The warm water and massaging jets can help to release tension in the body and promote a sense of calm. Additionally, the sound of the water and the dim lighting in many whirlpool tubs can create a peaceful atmosphere that can further aid in relaxation.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a whirlpool bathtub?

While whirlpool bathtubs are generally safe to use, there are a few precautions to keep in mind. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for use and maintenance, as neglecting to do so can lead to bacteria growth in the tub. It is also recommended to limit the use of whirlpool bathtubs to 15-20 minutes at a time to avoid overheating or dehydration.

Can whirlpool bathtubs help with muscle and joint pain?

Yes, whirlpool bathtubs can be beneficial for relieving muscle and joint pain. The massaging jets can help to increase blood flow and reduce inflammation, which can provide relief for sore muscles and joints. It is important to consult with a doctor before using a whirlpool bathtub for pain relief, as it may not be suitable for certain conditions.

Do whirlpool bathtubs require any special maintenance?

Yes, whirlpool bathtubs do require some special maintenance to ensure they remain clean and safe to use. It is important to regularly clean the tub and jets to prevent bacteria growth. Some models may also require the use of special cleaning solutions to keep the jets functioning properly. It is also recommended to drain and refill the tub after each use to prevent the buildup of bacteria and other contaminants.