What is the definition of greatest/least upper bound in a partially ordered set?

In summary: Many thanks. That other error was mine, sorry. This definition was part of the definition of lattice and few paragraphs later he denotes a lattice by L. So that probably explains the slip.In summary, the author has switched from discussing a partially ordered set to discussing a lattice without realising it. He also makes an error when referring to the "greatest upper bound" as the "greatest lower bound".
QuestForInsight
Let $a$, $b$ and $c$ be elements of a partially ordered set $P$. My book defines $c$ as the greatest upper bound of $a$ and $b$ if, for each $x \in L$, we have $x \le c$ if and only if $x \le a$ and $x \le b$. Similarly, it defines $c$ as the least upper bound of $a$ and $b$ if, for each $x \in L$, we have $ c \le x$ if and only if $ a \le x$ and $b \le x$.

The thing is, the L appeared out of nowhere and the definition only makes sense to me if L was P. What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
QuestForInsight said:
Let $a$, $b$ and $c$ be elements of a partially ordered set $P$. My book defines $c$ as the greatest upper bound of $a$ and $b$ if, for each $x \in L$, we have $x \le c$ if and only if $x \le a$ and $x \le b$. Similarly, it defines $c$ as the least upper bound of $a$ and $b$ if, for each $x \in L$, we have $ c \le x$ if and only if $ a \le x$ and $b \le x$.

The thing is, the L appeared out of nowhere and the definition only makes sense to me if L was P. What do you think?
I agree, it seems that the author has switched from P to L without realising it. Another error is that "greatest upper bound" should be "greatest lower bound". Other than that, the definitions are correct.

Opalg said:
I agree, it seems that the author has switched from P to L without realising it. Another error is that "greatest upper bound" should be "greatest lower bound". Other than that, the definitions are correct.
Many thanks. That other error was mine, sorry. This definition was part of the definition of lattice and few paragraphs later he denotes a lattice by L. So that probably explains the slip.

What is the definition of greatest upper bound?

The greatest upper bound, also known as the supremum, is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all elements in a given set. It is also the least upper bound, as it is the smallest upper bound for the set.

How is the greatest upper bound different from the maximum?

While the greatest upper bound is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all elements in a set, the maximum is the largest number in a set. The maximum may or may not be a member of the set, while the greatest upper bound must always be a member of the set.

Can a set have more than one greatest upper bound?

No, a set can have only one greatest upper bound. If a set has multiple upper bounds, the greatest upper bound is the smallest of those upper bounds.

How is the greatest upper bound used in mathematics?

The concept of greatest upper bound is used in the study of real analysis and order theory. It is used to define the completeness of a set, and is an important concept in the proof of the least upper bound property. It is also used in the definition of limits and continuity in calculus.

How can the greatest upper bound be found for a set?

To find the greatest upper bound for a set, one can use the least upper bound property or the supremum axiom. This involves proving that the set has an upper bound and showing that it is the smallest of all upper bounds for the set. Another method is to use mathematical tools such as the least upper bound property of real numbers or the completeness axiom.