What are the best modern physics books for a young astrophysics enthusiast?

In summary: You might be able to find a more introductory level textbook that would cover some of these topics in more depth.
jathu
Hello guys. I am fortunate that I have found this website and I have created an account just to ask one question. I asked this on yahoo answers as well but no luck. So here goes.

I'm 14 years old and I love astrophysics. I have learn most of the basic stuff and I've also read A brief history of time by Stephen hawking.

My next birthday is coming in a few months and I can get what ever I want. I really want a textbook which covers nearly everything about astrophysics and Quantum mechanics, relativity and string theory, super symmetry ,etc.

I'm not worried about the price or the number of pages (actually more is better), as long as it is thorough and doesn't include super basic stuff. Thanks in advance!

Oh, and I know basic calculus like differentiating and integrating basic equation. I am more than willing to learn more if a book requires a much greater understanding of calculus.

Physics news on Phys.org
jathu said:
[ ... ]I really want a textbook which covers nearly everything about astrophysics and Quantum mechanics, relativity and string theory, super symmetry ,etc. [ ... ]
These are whole fields of study, careers of study, astrophysics, QM, GR, SR, String/M-theory, et cetera. A great textbook might cover one of these in some depth.

Benoit Mandelbrot called reality fractally complex.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can certainly appreciate the ambition. However...this: "astrophysics and Quantum mechanics, relativity and string theory, super symmetry" is essentially an entire undergraduate and graduate college career in physics. That's a lot of ground to cover.

When you say you've learned most of the basic stuff, what exactly does this entail? Have you been through classical mechanics and electromagnetism, both with calculus? If you want to dig into deeper physics, this is basically where you have to start. Quantum, relativity, and especially string theory all utilize very high level mathematics, that are very well beyond introductory differentiation and integration. Some of these topics don't necessarily require a greater understanding of calculus as such. They require completely different fields of mathematics in some instances.

You're not going to find a single textbook that covers everything about all of these topics in one volume. It simply doesn't exist. Road to Reality was linked above. That's an excellent book, but as mentioned, it's a very difficult book even for PhD's. It discusses most of these topics, but not in the depth that individual textbooks on each topic would go to. You should be aware that reading a book like this isn't going to be at all similar to reading a book like Brief History of Time. That's a fun book, but it's a purely descriptive book that doesn't involve or necessitate any type of quantitative understanding of the physics or how the physics works. Actually doing the physics behind some of the concepts discussed in BHOT is a bit formidable. A truly in depth study of a single one of these topics is typically going to require multiple textbooks alone.

It's good to have that kind of ambition. Don't let that candle blow out. But you might want to start on the ground and work your way up.

I am delighted to hear about your passion for astrophysics at such a young age. It's great to see young minds interested in the wonders of the universe and the theories that explain them.

In terms of a textbook that covers everything about astrophysics and quantum mechanics, it really depends on your level of understanding and what you hope to gain from the book. However, I can recommend a few options that are widely considered to be among the best modern physics books.

Firstly, "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman is a classic and comprehensive textbook that covers a wide range of topics in physics, including astrophysics, quantum mechanics, relativity, and more. It is often praised for its clear explanations and engaging writing style.

Another popular choice is "Modern Physics" by Kenneth Krane, which covers topics such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and nuclear physics in a more mathematical and rigorous way. This may require a deeper understanding of calculus, but it is a great resource for those looking to delve deeper into these topics.

For a book specifically on astrophysics, "An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics" by Bradley Carroll and Dale Ostlie is highly recommended. It covers a wide range of topics, from basic concepts to more advanced theories, and includes plenty of examples and exercises to help solidify your understanding.

Lastly, for those interested in string theory and supersymmetry, "String Theory and M-Theory: A Modern Introduction" by Katrin Becker, Melanie Becker, and John Schwarz is a highly regarded book that provides a comprehensive overview of these complex topics.

Ultimately, the best modern physics book for you will depend on your level of understanding and what you hope to gain from it. I suggest browsing through these options and perhaps asking for recommendations from your local library or a physics teacher for more personalized advice. Keep exploring and never stop learning!

1. What is the greatest modern physics book?

The answer to this question is subjective and can vary depending on personal opinions. Some popular choices for the greatest modern physics book include "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, and "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman.

2. What makes a physics book considered "modern"?

A modern physics book typically refers to a book that covers more recent developments and theories in the field of physics, such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and particle physics. It also takes into account advancements and discoveries made within the past few decades.

3. Is it necessary to have a background in physics to understand the content of a modern physics book?

While having a background in physics can certainly help in understanding the concepts presented in a modern physics book, many authors strive to make their books accessible to a general audience. With some effort and dedication, anyone can grasp the fundamental concepts discussed in these books.

4. Are there any prerequisites for reading a modern physics book?

It is recommended to have a basic understanding of algebra, calculus, and some familiarity with scientific notation before diving into a modern physics book. However, many books also provide a review of these concepts in the beginning chapters.

5. Are there any modern physics books specifically designed for beginners?

Yes, there are several modern physics books that are geared towards beginners and those with little to no background in physics. Some examples include "Seven Brief Lessons on Physics" by Carlo Rovelli and "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene.