Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green power project - little hydrogen cruiser

1. May 26, 2007 #1
    I bought this stand up scooter for $850. It's made by a company called Goped. It can go upto 20mph and I weigh 142lbs. But the problem is, as with all electric scooters is they get low range. Mine get's about 10 miles and it runs on stock SLA batteries packs.

Picture: http://www.neoscooters.com/prodimages/goped-ESRExbig.jpg

I would like to go 40-45mph with plenty of torque. I already have a gas one that can do this but is too loud so I stopped riding is for my neighbors sake o:)

I would like to use Hydrogen fuel cells but how long would a liter tank of hydrogen last with a 2000W motor (my current one is 1100watts)?

How many fuel cells would I need? I wan't as much range as possible while still fitting the fuel cells in the 24"x12"x2" battery compartment.

Also can anybody suggest a motor?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2007 #2
    Batteries are not perfect and a battery's energy storage is almost always proportional to its size. Don't expect a battery to output more power for a longer distance and take up the same space.
  4. May 27, 2007 #3
    Well I said fuel cell should fit in the battery compartment but hydrogen tank may be about a liter and can be mounted separately somewhere.

Sorry about the confusion.

Mybe I can get a high pressure tank for it and stuff it at about 5,000psi but would it be safe :surprised
    Last edited: May 27, 2007
  5. May 27, 2007 #4
    No one's gonna help me? :frown:
  6. May 27, 2007 #5

Gold Member

I can't help you because I know next to nothing about it. It does seem to me, though, that it might not be worth the effort and expense.
    Can't you just put a muffler on your gas machine and save the electric one for a grocery-getter or inner-city travel?
  7. May 28, 2007 #6

Gold Member

Try contacting a supplier of fuel cells. They will know the details you are after.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?