1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green power project - little hydrogen cruiser

1. May 26, 2007 #1
    I bought this stand up scooter for $850. It's made by a company called Goped. It can go upto 20mph and I weigh 142lbs. But the problem is, as with all electric scooters is they get low range. Mine get's about 10 miles and it runs on stock SLA batteries packs.

Picture: http://www.neoscooters.com/prodimages/goped-ESRExbig.jpg

I would like to go 40-45mph with plenty of torque. I already have a gas one that can do this but is too loud so I stopped riding is for my neighbors sake o:)

I would like to use Hydrogen fuel cells but how long would a liter tank of hydrogen last with a 2000W motor (my current one is 1100watts)?

How many fuel cells would I need? I wan't as much range as possible while still fitting the fuel cells in the 24"x12"x2" battery compartment.

Also can anybody suggest a motor?

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2007 #2
    Batteries are not perfect and a battery's energy storage is almost always proportional to its size. Don't expect a battery to output more power for a longer distance and take up the same space.

4. May 27, 2007 #3
    Well I said fuel cell should fit in the battery compartment but hydrogen tank may be about a liter and can be mounted separately somewhere.

Sorry about the confusion.

Mybe I can get a high pressure tank for it and stuff it at about 5,000psi but would it be safe :surprised

Last edited: May 27, 2007
  5. May 27, 2007 #4
    No one's gonna help me? :frown:

6. May 27, 2007 #5

Danger

Gold Member

I can't help you because I know next to nothing about it. It does seem to me, though, that it might not be worth the effort and expense.
    Can't you just put a muffler on your gas machine and save the electric one for a grocery-getter or inner-city travel?

7. May 28, 2007 #6

Mentz114

Gold Member

Try contacting a supplier of fuel cells. They will know the details you are after.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?