Green's function and the resistance across a Hypercube

In summary, the hint is useful, but you need to use it in conjunction with other knowledge to solve the problem.
Hamsi
Homework Statement
I do know how to solve the resistance network problem in two dimensions. However, in this problem they want it in 3 dimensions and higher and I don't know how to do that
Relevant Equations
-
Homework Statement: I do know how to solve the resistance network problem in two dimensions. However, in this problem they want it in 3 dimensions and higher and I don't know how to do that
Homework Equations: -

In the picture you can see the solution to the two dimensional version

Attachments

• homework.PNG
    homework.PNG
    55.6 KB · Views: 258
  • two dimensions.PNG
    two dimensions.PNG
    4.2 KB · Views: 230
Physics news on Phys.org
Green's function??

Anyway, the hint is very useful.
Start by seeing how that works in 2D. We have a square, ABCD, say. From one corner, A, there are two adjacent links, to B and D. From an electrical perspective AB and AD are parallel.
At the next step there are another two, then we reach the target, C.
The trick is that you do not need to worry about how the first pair connect to the second. Suppose we were to connect B and D as well. By symmetry, no current would flow in BD.
Now try the same method in 3D.

Thank you for your response.

I think I understand the problem in 2D and now I think I also understand the problem in 3D. For 3D, I got th answer $$ (5/6 )R_0$$.

However, I got this answer by using basic things as kirkhoff and rules for resistances in parallel or serie. I did not use greens function. I feel like I should, since the homerwork hints towords it.

Also, I have no idea how to do quenstion b and c. There they ask about the 4th deminsion and higher. Can you maybe give me hint for thos

Hamsi said:
they ask about the 4th deminsion and higher
First, you need to find a general formula for the number of links that connect vertices at distance r from the starting corner to those at distance r+1 from it.
Write out those numbers for 1, 2 and 3 dimensions. In each case, the list of numbers will have a common factor n. If you factor that out, should see a familiar pattern.

What is a Green's function?

A Green's function is a mathematical tool used in physics and engineering to solve differential equations. It represents the response of a linear system to a point source input, and can be used to find the solution to a wide range of problems involving differential equations.

How is a Green's function related to the resistance across a Hypercube?

The resistance across a Hypercube is a physical property that can be calculated using the Green's function for the corresponding differential equation. The Green's function provides a way to map the physical system onto a mathematical problem, allowing for the calculation of resistance using mathematical techniques.

What is the significance of the resistance across a Hypercube?

The resistance across a Hypercube is a measure of the electrical resistance between two opposite corners of a Hypercube, a geometric shape with 8 vertices and 16 edges. It has applications in understanding the behavior of electronic devices and networks, as well as in other fields such as material science and quantum computing.

What factors affect the resistance across a Hypercube?

The resistance across a Hypercube is affected by a variety of factors, including the size and shape of the Hypercube, the material properties of the edges, and the temperature. Additionally, the presence of defects or impurities in the material can also impact the resistance.

How is the resistance across a Hypercube calculated using the Green's function?

The resistance across a Hypercube can be calculated by taking the inverse of the integral of the Green's function over the appropriate region of the Hypercube. This integral represents the total resistance of the system and can be evaluated using numerical or analytical techniques.