Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green's functions for translationally invariant systems

1. Oct 25, 2015 #1
    As I understand it a Green's function ##G(x,y)## for a translationally invariant differential equation satisfies $$G(x+a,y+a)=G(x,y)\qquad\Rightarrow\qquad G(x,y)=G(x-y)$$ (where ##a## is an arbitrary constant shift.)

My question is, given such a translationally invariant system, how does one show that ##G(x,y)=G(x-y)##?
    Is it as simple as setting ##y=-a## such that $$G(x+a,y+a)=G(x-y,0)\equiv G(x-y)$$ or is it more to it than that? (I'm slightly uncomfortable with setting ##y=-a##, it doesn't seem correct?!)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it is as easy as that. Why are you uncomfortable with setting ##y = -a##?

4. Oct 25, 2015 #3
    I think it's because we're originally treating it as a function of x and y and then we're simply setting one of the variables to a particular value.

5. Oct 25, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But it is still a function of x and y, it just depends on them in a very particular combination. It is also not that you are setting y to a particular value, you are setting the translation amount ##a## to a particular value.

6. Oct 25, 2015 #5
    Isn't y more of a parameter now though as a is chosen to be a constant, right? Is it that the translation invariance places a constraint on the functional dependence?

7. Oct 25, 2015 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I do not understand your objection. You can select whatever value of a you want. In particular you can let it be -y. Whatever value of a you have chosen, the translation symmetry will remain true. In particular, it will remain true for a = -y regardless of the value of y.

8. Oct 25, 2015 #7
    I guess I'm looking for issues that aren't there, sorry.

So is the point that the translation symmetry is valid for arbitrary ##a## and so we can simply choose it such that ##a=-y##?

Also, I've read notes in which, in order to show that ##G(x,y)=G(x-y)##, they take a derivative with respect to ##a##, i.e. $$\frac{d}{da}G(x+a,y+a)=\frac{\partial G}{\partial x}\frac{\partial (x+a)}{\partial a}+\frac{\partial G}{\partial y}\frac{\partial (y+a)}{\partial a}=\frac{\partial G}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial G}{\partial y}=0$$ Now, at least initially, this doesn't make any sense to me since ##a## is a constant and so taking a derivative with respect to it doesn't make sense. Is the point though that we treat ##a## as a parameter and then "ask" how ##G## changes as we vary it, i.e. we take the derivative of G with respect to ##a##, then since G is translationally invariant this derivative equals zero?!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  9. Oct 25, 2015 #8

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you don't like that, then you can look at the variation in ##G## under an infinitesimal transformation ##(x,y)\rightarrow (x+a,y+a)##, which is
    $$ \delta G = G(x+a,y+a) - G(x,y) = G(x,y) + \delta x \partial_x G(x,y) + \delta y \partial_y G(x,y) - G(x,y) = a \left( \partial_x G(x,y) + \partial_y G(x,y) \right).$$
    To complete the proof nicely, you can change variables to ##x_\pm = x \pm y## and see that this is ##\partial_{x_+} G(x_+,x_-)##, so that ##G = G(x_-)##.

So here we are setting ##\delta G=0##. while the approach you mention is equivalent to requiring that ##\delta G## is independent of ##a##. In this case, they lead to the same constraint.

10. Oct 26, 2015 #9
    Thanks for your help.
    Going back to an earlier point, is it simply that ##a## is an arbitrary parameter and so we can always choose it such that ##a=-y## whatever the values of ##x## and ##y## are, hence $$G(x,y)=G(x+a,y+a)=G(x+(-y), y+(-y))=G(x-y,0)\equiv G(x-y)$$

11. Oct 26, 2015 #10

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The only objection that I have to this argument is that we can do this at a single point by choosing ##a=-y_1##, so that ##G(x_1,y_1)=G(x_1-y_1,0)##, but it does not immediately follow that for some other point ##G(x_2,y_2)=G(x_2-y_2,0)##. Therefore I think it is better to use an argument that involves the derivatives of ##G(x,y)##.

12. Oct 26, 2015 #11

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But the entire point is that it holds regardless of whether you select ##a=-y_1## or ##a=-y_2##. You can do the translation for any ##a##.

13. Oct 26, 2015 #12

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This was my first thought, but Orodruin is actually right. Remember that y is not a function; it's just a value. And if G(x,y) is translationally-invariant, then you're free to translate it by y.

14. Oct 26, 2015 #13

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, I realize that we can do a second transformation to prove it at another point. I didn't mean to imply that it was wrong, just that I prefer the other argument as a matter of taste.

15. Oct 26, 2015 #14
    So am I correct in thinking that as ##G(x,y)## is translationally invariant for each set of values ##(x,y)##, then we can simply choose ##a## such that ##a=-y## at each set of values ##(x,y)##?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook