Griffiths E&M Eq. 4.5: Explained

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Griffiths
It is a shorthand for the dot product between the vector p and the gradient operator. This allows for a more compact representation of the equation.
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] Griffiths eqn 4.5

Homework Statement

This question refers to Griffiths E and M book.
[tex]\vec{F} = (\vec{p} \cdot \nabla)\vec{E} [/tex]
Can someone please explain what the expression in parenthesis is? I have never seen that before? Is it a vector or a scalar or an operator or what? And what is the operation between what is parenthesis and E? I think Griffiths really botched this. Obviously Griffiths wants to use this notation to write "more compactly" the equation before the previous equation, but he cannot just make up notation like that!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ehrenfest said:

Homework Statement

This question refers to Griffiths E and M book.
[tex]\vec{F} = (\vec{p} \cdot \nabla)\vec{E} [/tex]
Can someone please explain what the expression in parenthesis is? I have never seen that before? Is it a vector or a scalar or an operator or what? And what is the operation between what is parenthesis and E? I think Griffiths really botched this. Obviously Griffiths wants to use this notation to write "more compactly" the equation before the previous equation, but he cannot just make up notation like that!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't find anything ambiguous about it.

[tex] \vec{p} \cdot \nabla = p_x \partial_x + p_y \partial_y + p_z \partial_z [/tex]
so this is a scalar operator. Then you apply it to each of the components of E to get each of the components of F.

I see what you mean.

1. What is Griffiths E&M Eq. 4.5?

Griffiths E&M Eq. 4.5 is an equation from the field of electromagnetism, specifically from the textbook "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths. It is a mathematical expression that describes the electric field produced by a line of charge in a three-dimensional space.

2. Why is Griffiths E&M Eq. 4.5 important?

Griffiths E&M Eq. 4.5 is important because it is a fundamental equation in the study of electromagnetism. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of electric fields in various situations, such as around charged particles or in circuits. It is also the basis for more complex equations and theories in electromagnetism.

3. How is Griffiths E&M Eq. 4.5 derived?

Griffiths E&M Eq. 4.5 is derived using the principles of electrostatics and the laws of Coulomb's and Gauss's. It involves manipulating the equations for electric field and charge distribution to arrive at a simplified equation for the electric field produced by a line of charge.

4. What are the assumptions made in Griffiths E&M Eq. 4.5?

Griffiths E&M Eq. 4.5 assumes that the charge distribution is continuous and that the line of charge is infinitely long. It also assumes that the distance from the line of charge is much greater than the size of the charge distribution. These assumptions allow for a simplified and more manageable equation.

5. How is Griffiths E&M Eq. 4.5 used in practical applications?

Griffiths E&M Eq. 4.5 is used in practical applications to calculate and predict the behavior of electric fields. It is particularly useful in understanding the behavior of charged particles, such as electrons and protons, and in designing and analyzing electrical circuits. It is also used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and telecommunications.