Groombridge 34: Summoning Geek Superheroes

• Thread starter Ralph Rotten
  • Start date
In summary: So from a practical perspective, would one of our probes, like Voyager, be able to survive passing through the divide?Yes, Voyager 2 would be able to survive.
Ralph Rotten
Summary: Summoning all geek superheroes with knowledge of the Groombridge 34 star system.

Allow me to introduce myself: I am an author from Tucson, Arizona.
I am currently researching for my next novel that revolves around the Groombridge34 star system (binary red dwarfs orbiting at 147AU from each other.)

The beings in this story live on a moonmoon that orbits a rocky giant that orbits the larger of the 2 stars. A large (5x) planet has been confirmed at this location, but for gravitational purposes I decided to have them evolve on the moonmoon, just because I like saying moonmoon.

I bet Mila Jovovich would sound cool saying moonmoon. She'd be all like "Multipass-moonmoon."
Mmmmm. Mila.
What was I talking about?

Anyhow, I wanted to start this thread to not only introduce myself, but open up a discussion about the logistics of living in a metal-poor star system where your closest neighbor is only 147AU away.

D4W7h09UwAE1B-m?format=jpg&name=small.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
One of the questions I have about this star system is how difficult would it be to bridge the solar-wind barrier between them. Seems like if they enter in the middle and follow the flow, they should be okay.

How much effort would it be to bridge the gap? Would a pair of dim red dwarfs create enough solar wind to even be an issue?

D4ShqAVU4AAkVLw?format=jpg&name=small.jpg

Ralph Rotten said:
"Multipass-moonmoon."
Love it. I already want to see the movie.
Ralph Rotten said:
how difficult would it be to bridge the solar-wind barrier between them.
What do you mean by bridge? Do you mean pass through it in a spacecraft ?

Edit: I would worry about the stability of the orbits of those planets.

Likes Ralph Rotten
Hi, Ralph Rotten. Welcome to PF!

Ralph Rotten said:
How much effort would it be to bridge the gap? Would a pair of dim red dwarfs create enough solar wind to even be an issue?
It's still solar wind. It's counted in atoms per cubic centimetre worth of material. For practical purposes (such as flying a space ship) it's excellent vacuum. Check out other figures in that paper you took the one above from. They show proton densities/number densities/particle number densities - which are all the same thing.

Likes Ralph Rotten
Don't mean to derail anything, but what are the odds of continuing to name an entire star system after an obscure 19th century astronomer?

Come to think of it, though; about as possible as us naming two continents after the first name of a map-maker no one ever heard of. ;)

Likes Klystron
So from a practical perspective, would one of our probes, like Voyager, be able to survive passing through the divide? These are some pretty dim stars; they're only 12LY away and cannot be seen with the naked eye. Would these stars even create enough photonic activity to be viable at 72AU?

Or would the issue be more like an EMP wave? (Passing between the two stars)

Ralph Rotten said:
Summary: (binary red dwarfs orbiting at 147AU from each other.)[...]
The beings in this story live on a moonmoon that orbits a rocky giant that orbits the larger of the 2 stars. A large (5x) planet has been confirmed at this location,
[...]
discussion about the logistics of living in a metal-poor star system where your closest neighbor is only 147AU away.
From a SF veiwpoint light metal space cultures should be doable. We face similar advantage / obstacles exploring the outer reaches of our Solar system where stony moons of gas giants contain water, as do Oort objects.

Chip Samuel Delany creates an interesting moon city on the eponymous "Triton " including discussion of light and heavy metal cultures in 20th C. science fiction.

[from wikipedia:...] Delany has said that Trouble on Triton was written partly in dialogue with Ursula K. Le Guin's anarchist science fiction novel The Dispossessed, whose subtitle was An Ambiguous Utopia.[1] It is also loosely linked to other books by him (particularly Neveryóna) in its references to "the modular calculus", a vaguely described future mathematics that would analyze ...

Likes Ralph Rotten
Ralph Rotten said:
So from a practical perspective, would one of our probes, like Voyager, be able to survive passing through the divide? These are some pretty dim stars; they're only 12LY away and cannot be seen with the naked eye. Would these stars even create enough photonic activity to be viable at 72AU?
At 72 AU the 'gap' would still have solar wind density many times lower than what's present at 1 AU. So no problems at all.

Likes Ralph Rotten
I'm curious, if these were more powerful stars, how would that gap manifest itself, in practical terms? Would it be like space-turbulence, river rafting, or some kind of EMP effect? If you flew a modern spacecraft through a much more powerful gap, how would you feel it?

I'm guessing the only effect would be higher background radiation.

Interesting.

I have been trying to get my mind to imagine life in a system where the nearest star is only 2 light days away.
These are metal-poor stars, but a much lower escape velocity than our own star. The beings in the story come from a 1/3rd gravity moonmoon to the big rocky planet orbiting the larger star. So it's easier for them to get into space, but harder because of limited metal.

Which makes me ask: If you were in a metal-poor star system, what else could you make rockets out of?

What is "Groombridge 34: Summoning Geek Superheroes"?

"Groombridge 34: Summoning Geek Superheroes" is a science fiction novel written by author J. M. DeMatteis. It follows the story of a group of scientists who discover a way to summon superheroes from other dimensions to help save their world from destruction.

What inspired the concept of "Groombridge 34: Summoning Geek Superheroes"?

The author, J. M. DeMatteis, has always been a fan of science fiction and comic books. He was inspired by the idea of exploring the concept of alternate dimensions and the possibility of summoning superheroes from these dimensions to help in times of need.

Are there any real scientific concepts or theories used in "Groombridge 34: Summoning Geek Superheroes"?

Yes, the novel incorporates real scientific concepts such as quantum physics and the multiverse theory. However, these concepts are used in a fictional and creative way to drive the plot of the story.

Who are the main characters in "Groombridge 34: Summoning Geek Superheroes"?

The main characters include a group of scientists, led by Dr. Dan Jurgens, who discover the technology to summon superheroes. Other characters include the superheroes themselves, who come from various dimensions, and the villain who threatens the existence of their world.

Is "Groombridge 34: Summoning Geek Superheroes" suitable for all ages?

The novel is targeted towards young adults and adults, but it is suitable for all ages. It contains elements of science fiction, action, and adventure, but does not have any mature or explicit content.

Back