How to Prove that (Z,+) is a Group?

In summary, the integers under addition (Z,+) form a group, denoted as (Z,+). To prove this, it is important to start with the definition of addition on the integers, which can be constructed from the natural numbers. The associative law holds for (Z,+) because of the definition of addition, and closure is fulfilled because if a and b are in Z, then a+b is also in Z. Additionally, it is important to state the starting definition when discussing the integers, as different definitions can lead to different results. For example, defining the integers as the free ring on zero generators makes the additive group structure trivial. However, when considering the free group on one generator, 1 or -1 generate Z.
Edgardo
It is known that "the integers under addition" form a group,
that is (Z,+).
I have always wondered how to actually proof that (Z,+) is a group?

Definitions for a group from wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_(mathematics)#Basic_definitions

I'm especially interested in two things:
1) Why does the associative law hold for (Z,+), that is
a+(b+c) = (a+b)+c for a,b,c in Z.

And moreover:
2) Why is closure fulfilled?
That is, if a and b in Z, then a+b is also in Z.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In order to prove that addition on integers is commutative and that they are closed under addition, you need to use the definition of addition on the integers. However, in order to define addition you need to know how the integers are constructed.

You can construct the natural numbers as a sequence of sets, and define addition. You can then construct the integers from the natural numbers, and define addition on the integers using the addition you've already defined on the natural numbers. The wikipedia pages on natural numbers and integers have some of the details.

Just to emphasize the importance of stating from which definition you're working -- in many contexts I would define the integers as "the free ring on zero generators"... in which case the additive group structure is trivial.

Hurkyl said:
Just to emphasize the importance of stating from which definition you're working -- in many contexts I would define the integers as "the free ring on zero generators"... in which case the additive group structure is trivial.
How is that the case? Don't the integers have one generator? Either 1 or -1. Why isn't the ring with zero generators the trivial ring?

Why isn't the ring with zero generators the trivial ring?
Because it's not free -- it satisfies a nontrivial relation amongst its elements. (in particular, 0 = 1)

For a ring R to be freely generated by the empty set, that means:

For any ring S, any function {} --> S extends uniquely to a homomorphism R --> S.

(There is, of course, only one function {} --> S)

If you plug in R = Z, you'll find the above is satisfied. If you plug in R = 0, you'll find it's not satisfied. (In fact, if 0 --> S is a homomorphism, then S = 0)

Hurkyl said:
Because it's not free -- it satisfies a nontrivial relation amongst its elements. (in particular, 0 = 1)

For a ring R to be freely generated by the empty set, that means:

For any ring S, any function {} --> S extends uniquely to a homomorphism R --> S.

(There is, of course, only one function {} --> S)

If you plug in R = Z, you'll find the above is satisfied. If you plug in R = 0, you'll find it's not satisfied. (In fact, if 0 --> S is a homomorphism, then S = 0)
So is this equivalent to saying that R has a basis? That was what I thought a free ring was.

And how does Z have zero generators?

And how does Z have zero generators?
Because it's generated by the empty set. ({1} is also a generating set for Z, of course, but Z is not the free ring on one object)

{} is clearly a subset of Z. What is the subring of Z generated by {}? Recall that it's the intersection of all subrings of Z that contain every element in {}. The only subring of Z is Z itself -- so {} generates Z.

Hurkyl said:
Because it's generated by the empty set. ({1} is also a generating set for Z, of course, but Z is not the free ring on one object)
Okay, I think I see this. I was thinking of generating sets in terms of groups, and was trying to generate Z with addition. But that's not right. So the free ring on one generator would be Z[x], right?

{} is clearly a subset of Z. What is the subring of Z generated by {}? Recall that it's the intersection of all subrings of Z that contain every element in {}. The only subring of Z is Z itself -- so {} generates Z.
On the level of groups, 1 or -1 generate Z, correct? So Z is the free group on one generator.

So the free ring on one generator would be Z[x], right?
Sounds right; I think things don't get annoying until you have two generators. (Unless you specify "free commutative ring" -- then everything remains nice. :smile:)

On the level of groups, 1 or -1 generate Z, correct? So Z is the free group on one generator.
Yep.

1. What are the group axioms?

The group axioms are a set of four mathematical properties that a group must satisfy in order to be considered a valid group. These properties are closure, associativity, identity, and inverse.

2. What is closure?

Closure is the property that states that the result of any operation between two elements in a group will also be an element of the group. In other words, the group is closed under its operation.

3. What is associativity?

Associativity is the property that states that the order in which operations are performed does not affect the result. In other words, for any three elements a, b, and c in a group, (ab)c = a(bc).

4. What is identity?

The identity element is the element of a group that, when combined with any other element, results in that same element. In other words, for any element a in a group, a * identity = a.

5. What is inverse?

The inverse element of a group is the element that when combined with another element, produces the identity element. In other words, for any element a in a group, there exists another element b such that a * b = identity.