1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Groups whose order have order two

1. Oct 17, 2009 #1
    I need help here: Suppose that G is a group in which every non-identity element has order two. Show that G is commutative.

Also, Consider Zn = {0,1,....,n-1}
    a. show that an element k is a generator of Zn if and only if k and n are relatively prime.

b. Is every subgroup of Zn cyclic? If so, give a proof. If not, provide an example.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2009 #2
    The forum rules state that you must show your attempt at a solution.

4. Oct 17, 2009 #3
    I would show an attempt if I knew how to start it.

5. Oct 17, 2009 #4
    Here are some hints:
    a) If k generates Zn, then k must have order n. But the order of <k> = n / gcd(k,n).
    b) Are subgroups of cyclic groups necessarily cyclic?

6. Oct 18, 2009 #5
    b) as far as i know, subgroups of cyclic groups are always cyclic. but to be honest, I do not know if we are allowed to assume Zn is cyclic to begin with. It states that Zn = {0,1,...(n-1)}.

a) so because k generates Zn, generating k (x) amount of times will give us all the elements in Zn?

7. Oct 18, 2009 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm going to assume you've already spent a good amount of time experimenting with algebraic expressions to which you can apply x²=1 in creative ways.

If you haven't, you really should have.

So if the full question is too hard for you, then try a simpler problem first.

First, try to prove it in the case where G has zero generators.
    Now, try to prove it in the case where G has one generators.
    Now, try to prove it in the case where G has two generators.
    Figure it out yet? No? Then try three generators....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook