1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Growing Liverworts

1. Aug 13, 2008 #1
    Like mosses, can liverworts be introduced into a new area by being blended up in a slurry with buttermilk and poured at the location? I figure this would be the case, since like mosses they're bryophytes and should survive the mastication, but wanted to check before I potentially waste perfectly good plants.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2008 #2

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I dunno about buttermilk. But. Thallose liverworts have small cup like structures on the leaf - gemmae. In those cups are spores, the main way these guys reproduce and why they can take over an area and become a problem quickly. Like a greenhouse, for example.

Anyway, cut off parts of the plant with gemmae, slosh them around in a small jar of water, and pour the water + spores out onto a proper substrate or soil.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?