GSM Phone + Metal Box = Directional Reception Tester?

• Thread starter HammerBoy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box Metal
In summary: I thought that was the whole point of using a cell phone as a detector?Many thanks.You are correct - using a cell phone as a detector will locate a base station - not another cell phone. A cell phone will only work as a detector if it is actively communicating with the base station.
HammerBoy
I am with a search team who use Mobile Signal to guess the whereabout of missing persons.

I was told that for 900MHz GSM Signal can go as far as 30km if weather permits.

I know where the station "B" is, it is about 20km away from my current location "A".

At "A", I can receive somewhat weak GSM signals.

Can I build a Metal Box with an opening of say 33cm (equals wavelength of 900MHz Signal), and point that opening to the station, to allow only the signal from the "B", and excluding all others nearby?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You aren't going to get a good directional fix without a dish many wavelengths across - certainly too big to carry.
And a GSM phone doesn't give off a signal unless it is making a call or told to do so by the base stations.
It's also a very low power and intermittent signal compared to a PLB
If you are linked to a SAR operation you can have the cell provider give you the phone location assuming it still has a link to their network.

Much appreciated for your input.
Sadly, we don't have the leisure to have a PLB as we only have the location of the base station for the very last call.
Hence, we are making wild guesses using things like, base station location, witness report, family's information, etc.
I am not into the Rescue part (of the usual SAR, Search & Rescue) but very much on the "Search and Recover", just hope to be able to provide an answer to family.
Thanks.

If you have some cooperation from the cell provider they might be able to get a fix from multiple towers.
But a phone on standby doesn't sen any signal until commanded to do so by the base station so you don't have a source to track.
It's possible the cell company have some test kit that can send a signal to all phones in range to id themselves - they may also have more experience at signal direction finding.

Unfortunately, no. We do not have contact/cooperation from Cell service provider.

Chances are the phone's battery is dried.

It is good to know that they are able to locate a phone if they want to, but I am sure it takes no less than a court order to get this done.

Some cell phones have antennas that unscrew. I've seen Motorola phones that the antenna connects to the phone through an SMA connector. It seems to me it would be possible to buy or make a yagi antenna for the frequency band of the cell phones and manually move the yagi to find the strongest signal. Also having gain, the yagi should increase your range.

skeptic2 said:
Some cell phones have antennas that unscrew. I've seen Motorola phones that the antenna connects to the phone through an SMA connector. It seems to me it would be possible to buy or make a yagi antenna for the frequency band of the cell phones and manually move the yagi to find the strongest signal. Also having gain, the yagi should increase your range.

Thanks.
I will look into it to see if a yagi antenna would be a practical solution here.

My finding so far, although a yagi antenna is probable for GSM 900MHz, its directional sensitivity is limited to about 40 degrees vertical and horizontal, which is not very good in terms of directional testing.

Is there any improvement / modification possible to make a yagi antenna to have a narrower sensitivity, say down to 5 degrees vertical and horizontal?

Many thanks.

I haven't tried this but was wondering if you had two yagis connected through a Wilkinson splitter with one yagi having an electrical half wavelength more cable than the other, and if the yagis were oriented in a "V", then the phase difference would be other than 180 deg. except when the source was in the center of the "V". When the yagis are pointed so that the source direction is halfway between the two yagis, you should see a sharp dip in the signal strength.

A simple loop antenna has a pretty good Null (actually, two nulls, pointing in opposite directions) in the direction of the axis of the loop. Most DFing used to be done with loops. Going for a maximum requires a large aperture of antenna. However, using a null detection requires a stronger signal. Eventually, the width of the null depends on how far down in the null you can look. Using two Yagis, as described above, could give better performance but your directional resolution is still limited by SNR.
I am a bit confused, though. If you use a cell phone as your detector, this will locate a base station - not another cell phone.

1. How does a GSM phone work as a directional reception tester inside a metal box?

A GSM phone works by sending and receiving radio signals through its antenna. When placed inside a metal box, the phone's antenna acts as a directional antenna, allowing it to detect and measure the strength of signals coming from different directions.

2. Can any GSM phone be used as a directional reception tester in a metal box?

Yes, any GSM phone can be used as a directional reception tester as long as it has a functioning antenna and is able to receive signals from nearby cell towers.

3. How accurate is a GSM phone + metal box directional reception tester?

The accuracy of a GSM phone + metal box directional reception tester depends on the quality of the phone's antenna and the strength of signals in the area. It may not be as accurate as specialized directional reception testers, but it can still provide useful information about signal strength and direction.

4. What are the advantages of using a GSM phone + metal box as a directional reception tester?

One advantage is that it can be more affordable compared to specialized directional reception testers. It also allows for easy portability and can be used with any GSM phone, making it a versatile tool for measuring signal strength and direction.

5. Are there any limitations to using a GSM phone + metal box as a directional reception tester?

One limitation is that it can only detect signals from nearby cell towers. It may not be able to accurately measure signals from distant or obstructed towers. Additionally, the accuracy may vary depending on the type of metal box used and its effects on signal reception.