PhD Guidance: Seeking Multiphysics Position in Europe

In summary, the poster is looking for advice on finding a university with a renowned department or study group in a specific field of study for their upcoming PhD studies. They have a strong background in electrical engineering and photonics and are interested in pursuing a multiphysics-related subject. They are open to any changes related to the PhD subject and are asking for recommendations or advice from anyone who may have connections or knowledge in this field.
BDD2
Hi all,

First time poster here, and currently looking for some good advice. I’m about to finish my master studies in June and therefore I’m looking for advice. I’m searching for a university that has a renowned department/study group in a specific field of study. I hope to join that study group/department such that I would have good guidance during my doctoral studies.

Currently I’m in my last year of electrical engineering as well as photonics engineering. A little over a year ago, I also finished both bachelors in electrical engineering and applied physics.

For next year however (from July and onward) I'd like to obtain a PhD position that is physics, photonics and/or electronics related. My friends told me that I should pursue the top universities. Personally I think, good guidance from a professor/study group/department that has a lot of knowledge in the field of study I want to do my doctoral studies in, is more important.

To get the best of my educational background, it would be interesting to have a subject which is multiphysics related. Within this scope is for example the modelling of optical or semiconductor devices within electromagnetics.

Therefore I'd like to kindly ask if any of you know a university department, study group or a professor within Europe who would be interested. I'm open to any changes related to the PhD subject. If any of you know a professor/university who is working in the multiphysics field or you can give me some pointers or some advice for my search, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Bert

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Bert,

Congratulations on completing your master studies and good luck with your search for a PhD position! It sounds like you have a strong background in both electrical engineering and photonics engineering, which will definitely be beneficial in your future studies.

In terms of finding a university with a renowned department or study group in your field of interest, I would recommend doing some research and reaching out to potential advisors or professors directly. You can start by looking at the top universities in Europe for physics, photonics, and electronics, and then narrowing down your search based on specific research areas or projects that interest you.

Additionally, attending conferences or workshops in your field can also be a great way to network and learn about potential PhD opportunities. You can also ask your current professors or colleagues for recommendations or connections in the field.

As you mentioned, having good guidance and mentorship during your PhD studies is crucial. So, make sure to thoroughly research and communicate with potential advisors to ensure a good fit. Good luck with your search!

1. What is a PhD in Multiphysics?

A PhD in Multiphysics is a research-based doctoral degree that focuses on the study of physical phenomena that involve multiple fields of physics. This can include the combination of mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetics, and other branches of physics to better understand complex systems and processes.

2. Why should I seek a Multiphysics position in Europe?

Europe is known for its strong research infrastructure and academic excellence in the field of physics. By seeking a Multiphysics position in Europe, you will have access to top-notch facilities, resources, and experts in the field to support your research and academic growth.

3. What are the job prospects for a PhD in Multiphysics in Europe?

The job prospects for a PhD in Multiphysics in Europe are promising. With the increasing demand for experts in this field, there are many opportunities for research positions in universities, government agencies, and private companies. Additionally, having a PhD in Multiphysics can also open up opportunities in other fields such as engineering, data science, and finance.

4. How long does it take to complete a PhD in Multiphysics?

The duration of a PhD in Multiphysics can vary depending on the country and university, but on average, it takes around 3-5 years to complete. This duration includes conducting research, writing a dissertation, and defending it in front of a panel of experts.

5. What are the requirements for applying to a PhD in Multiphysics program in Europe?

The specific requirements may vary depending on the university, but in general, you will need a master's degree in a related field, strong academic record, letters of recommendation, and a research proposal. Some universities may also require standardized test scores and proof of English proficiency.