Lucas from Brazil"Exploring Math: Where to Begin for Lucas from Brazil

• Thread starter Lucas Moreira
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brazil
In summary, Lucas is a student from Brazil who is beginning high school and is interested in math. He has already read his entire school's math book and studied most of Khan Academy's math content, but feels that it is too basic and wants to go deeper and more advanced. He is looking for recommendations on where to begin and what to study next, specifically in areas such as matrices and permutations. Natty suggests going through Khan Academy's calculus courses or checking out MIT's open courseware for full courses on various math topics. Lucas thanks Natty and plans to look into the calculus course.
Lucas Moreira
Hello people,

I'm Lucas, from Brazil, and I'm beginning my high school and in this forum. Well, I really enjoy math and I want to get deeper in my studies.

I read my entire school's book of math and I also had studied almost of KhanAcademy's math content. But I think this is so superficial and I want to go deeper and advanced.

So, where should I begin? And after?
I already know things like equations in 1st and 2nd degree, logarithm/exponential functions, trigonometry (and it's trig functions — or almost of all), absolute value. As I said, it's so basic.

I mainly want name of contents (like "Matrices" or "Permutation") but if you have an great book, website, "tutorial" or something else I'll appreciate it.

Thank you guys!
PS: sorry for my english!

Physics news on Phys.org
You said you've studied most of Khan Academy's math content, but then you listed several concepts that fall into algebra and geometry--relatively low-level. If you've mastered algebra and geometry, you ought to go through Khan Academy's calculus courses, or perhaps linear algebra.

I also cannot recommend enough http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/ocw-scholar/, which is a set of full courses provided by MIT with full video lectures and PDFs of all of the written course material (including notes and tests). If you're interested in mathematics, you could attempt their calculus course, which is beautifully taught and relatively easy to follow for anyone who's studied algebra and trigonometry. Or branch out and try other courses, as well! They're great.

Thanks a lot Natty! I'm sure that I'll take a look at Calculus.

Once again, thank you so much!

1. Who is Lucas from Brazil?

Lucas from Brazil is a hypothetical student that we will use to explore math concepts. He is not a real person, but we will use his name to make the examples more relatable.

2. Why use a specific person like Lucas from Brazil for math exploration?

Using a specific person like Lucas from Brazil allows us to create a relatable and consistent character for the examples. It also helps to make the math concepts more applicable to real-life situations.

3. What math concepts will be explored for Lucas from Brazil?

We will explore a range of math concepts, including basic arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and statistics. The examples will be tailored to Lucas's age and grade level to make them more relevant to his learning.

4. What are the benefits of exploring math with a character like Lucas from Brazil?

Using a character like Lucas from Brazil can make math more engaging and interesting for students. It can also help them to see the practical applications of math in their daily lives.

5. Is there a specific age or grade level that this exploration is geared towards?

The math exploration for Lucas from Brazil is designed for students in middle school, typically ages 11-14. However, the concepts can be adapted for younger or older students as well.