Guinness can be beneficial to the heart

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heart
In summary: With Irish Cream ice cream and maybe a splash of whiskey. Then it would be like an Irish Carbomb.Maybe there's something to it. I think I've read that trappist monks in Belgium used to drink nothing but their abbey ales when they were fasting during the 40 days of...oh nevermind.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Is guinness good for you?

From Wiki,

Studies claim that Guinness can be beneficial to the heart. Researchers found that antioxidant compounds in Guinness, similar to those found in certain fruits and vegetables, are responsible for health benefits because they slow down the deposit of harmful cholesterol on the artery walls.[19][20]

Guinness ran an advertising campaign in the 1920s which stemmed from market research - when people told the company that they felt good after their pint, the slogan was born – "Guinness is Good for You". Guinness was told to stop using the slogan decades ago – and the firm still makes no health claims for the drink. Diageo, the company that now manufactures Guinness, said: "We never make any medical claims for our drinks." The company now runs advertisements that call for "responsible drinking". The old slogan is still used abroad however.[19]

Guinness may be unsuitable for a vegetarian diet, as the production process involves the use of isinglass, made from fish. It is used as a fining agent for settling out suspended matter in the vat.[21] The isinglass is retained in the floor of the vat but it is possible that minute quantities might be carried over into the beer

Physics news on Phys.org

One thing I learned as a kid - anything that tastes that bad has to be good for you.

Guinness Stout tastes great!

Agree with Astro it is great, i have a box of 12 440ml cans, and wondered how many i need to drink to gain any benifit.

wolram said:
Agree with Astro it is great, i have a box of 12 440ml cans, and wondered how many i need to drink to gain any benifit.
Bring some over to my party. Are you going to spend the night with us?

Astronuc said:
Guinness Stout tastes great!

Guinness Draught tastes better! :biggrin:

Guinness stout is great! My wife is going shopping after work today, and generally on a holiday like this, she'll pick up a 6-pack of Guinness, Beck's or Heineken. We'll see...

Evo said:
Bring some over to my party. Are you going to spend the night with us?

YES please.

One of the best stouts is Samuel Smith's Oatmeal and Imperial Stout.
http://www.merchantduvin.com/pages/5_breweries/samsmith_oatmeal_stout.html
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/113/571/
http://www.merchantduvin.com/pages/5_breweries/samsmith_imperial_stout.html

I also like their Taddy Porter. :tongue2:
http://www.merchantduvin.com/pages/5_breweries/samsmith_taddy.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Smith_Brewery
http://www.tadcaster.uk.com/breweriesSamuelSmith.htm

But then this thread is about Guinness.

I love a good stout/porter, but I hate Guinness.

Usually things with "oatmeal" in the name are good, yes. The one we have in our fridge right now is Black Butte Porter (from Oregon). It's pretty good.

Blasted underage.

I enjoy the Guinness Stout myself. I am a fan of heavier/darker beers. I could never drink Coors or anything light. I need something that is thick, rich, and of motor oil consistency:tongue:

As for being healthy I am not sure. In moderation maybe, just like red wine.

pantaz said:
Guinness Draught tastes better! :biggrin:

speaking of that, what's the deal with the foreign stout? did they used to put quinine in it or something?

Proton Soup said:
speaking of that, what's the deal with the foreign stout? did they used to put quinine in it or something?
No it's just higher alcohol so lasts longer, like IPA (India Pale Ale) is brewed to last for the trip to India.

I have to try Guinness some time. I've heard a lot about it though.

Guinness is my favourite beer, both draught and extra stout.

http://theguinnessdiet.blogspot.com/
This guy famously tried the Guinness Diet Challenge for one week and blogged about it. Unfortunately I can't find his blog postings, they seem to be gone.

mgb_phys said:
No it's just higher alcohol so lasts longer, like IPA (India Pale Ale) is brewed to last for the trip to India.

I'm not a big beer drinker, but I do love IPA! Whenever I hear someone refer to isopropyl alcohol as IPA, my ears perk up...:!)!

mmm.. i love guinness

I am a non-drinker and a non-smoker and plan to be that way my entire life.
Cold ginger ale topped with vanilla ice cream wins.

Crazy Tosser said:
I am a non-drinker and a non-smoker and plan to be that way my entire life.
Cold ginger ale topped with vanilla ice cream wins.

hmm, i wonder what that would be like with guinness instead...

Proton Soup said:
hmm, i wonder what that would be like with guinness instead...

With Irish Cream ice cream and maybe a splash of whiskey. Then it would be like an Irish Carbomb.

Maybe there's something to it. I think I've read that trappist monks in Belgium used to drink nothing but their abbey ales when they were fasting during the 40 days of Lent.

fourier jr said:
Maybe there's something to it. I think I've read that trappist monks in Belgium used to drink nothing but their abbey ales when they were fasting during the 40 days of Lent.

That's why abbey ales are sweet and loaded with calories...the monks were cheating. ;)

They are probably my favorite kind of beer, though.

Astronuc said:
One of the best stouts is Samuel Smith's Oatmeal and Imperial Stout.

I'll echo that.

I've had Guiness, but mostly just to be able to say that I had drunk it. It was "too much of a good thing" to suit my taste. If they dialed it down a notch or two I'd like it better, but that's just me.

1. How can Guinness be beneficial to the heart?

Studies have shown that moderate consumption of alcohol, including Guinness, can help decrease the risk of heart disease. This is because the antioxidants and flavonoids in Guinness can help improve blood flow and prevent the formation of blood clots.

2. How much Guinness should I consume for heart health benefits?

The key is moderation. According to the American Heart Association, moderate alcohol consumption is defined as one drink per day for women and up to two drinks per day for men. Consuming more than this can actually have negative effects on the heart and overall health.

3. Can non-alcoholic Guinness provide the same heart health benefits?

No, the beneficial compounds in Guinness that help the heart are found in the alcohol. Non-alcoholic versions of Guinness may still contain some antioxidants, but they do not have the same heart health benefits as the alcoholic version.

4. Are there any risks to consuming Guinness for heart health?

As with any alcoholic beverage, there are potential risks to consuming Guinness. Excessive alcohol consumption can lead to high blood pressure, heart disease, and other health issues. It is important to drink in moderation and consult with a doctor if you have any concerns.

5. Can drinking Guinness replace other heart-healthy habits?

No, drinking Guinness should not be used as a replacement for other heart-healthy habits such as regular exercise, a balanced diet, and not smoking. These habits work together to promote overall heart health, and alcohol should not be relied upon as the sole factor.