H is a subgroup of its Centralizer iff H is Abelian

• Thread starter xsw001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subgroup
In summary, Homework Statement says that H is a subgroup of its Normalizer and Centralizer iff H is Abelian.
xsw001

Homework Statement

G is a group, and H is a subgroup of G.
(1) Show H is a subgroup of its Normalizer. Give an example to show that this is NOT necessarily true if H is NOT a subgroup.

(2) Show H is a subgroup of its Centralizer iff H is Abelian

Homework Equations

normalizer NG(H) = {g in G|gHg(^-1)=H}

centralizer CG(H) = {g in G|gh = hg for all h in H}

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, for part (1) I showed the left coset of H equals to the right coset of H, that is g*H = H*g = H <=> h in H

Can anyone show me an example that it is NOT necessarily true if H is NOT a subgroup? (If H is NOT a subgroup of G, isn't that obvious that it's not necessary a subgroup of its Normalizer?)

For part (2) by definition of the centralizer CG(H)={g in G|gh = hg for all h in H}.
(=>) Suppose H < CG(H), WTS H is Abelian, that is for any elments h1, h2 in H, h1*h2=h2*h1.
so by definition
g*h1 = h1*g => g = h1*g*h1^(-1)
g*h2 = h2*g => g = h2*g*h2^(-1)
So h1*g*h1^(-1) = h2*g*h2^(-1)
Also h1*h2^(-1) is in H by definition of being subgroup of it's centralizer, so g*h1*h2^(-1)=h1*h2^(-1)*g
Okay, I've been trying to drive to h1*h2=h2*h1 but somehow stuck. Can anyone help? I know it's not a complicated problem...

(<=) Suppose H is Abelian, then for any elments h1, h2 in H, h1*h2=h2*h1 => h1*h2^(-1) = h2^(-1)*h1. WTS H < CG(H)
WTS two things:
1) H is nonempty
2) for any h1, h2 in H => h1*h2^(-1) is in H
Obviously H is nonempty since the identity is there.
Let h1, h2 in H
Then since h1*h2=h2*h1 => h1*h2^(-1) = h2^(-1)*h1
How do I show from here that it implies that h1*h2^(-1) is in H?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
xsw001 said:

Homework Statement

G is a group, and H is a subgroup of G.
(1) Show H is a subgroup of its Normalizer. Give an example to show that this is NOT necessarily true if H is NOT a subgroup.

(2) Show H is a subgroup of its Centralizer iff H is Abelian

Homework Equations

normalizer NG(H) = {g in G|gHg(^-1)=H}

centralizer CG(H) = {g in G|gh = hg for all h in H}

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, for part (1) I showed the left coset of H equals to the right coset of H, that is g*H = H*g = H <=> h in H

Can anyone show me an example that it is NOT necessarily true if H is NOT a subgroup? (If H is NOT a subgroup of G, isn't that obvious that it's not necessary a subgroup of its Normalizer?)

For part (2) by definition of the centralizer CG(H)={g in G|gh = hg for all h in H}.
(=>) Suppose H < CG(H), WTS H is Abelian, that is for any elments h1, h2 in H, h1*h2=h2*h1.
so by definition
g*h1 = h1*g => g = h1*g*h1^(-1)
g*h2 = h2*g => g = h2*g*h2^(-1)
So h1*g*h1^(-1) = h2*g*h2^(-1)
Also h1*h2^(-1) is in H by definition of being subgroup of it's centralizer, so g*h1*h2^(-1)=h1*h2^(-1)*g
Okay, I've been trying to drive to h1*h2=h2*h1 but somehow stuck. Can anyone help? I know it's not a complicated problem...

(<=) Suppose H is Abelian, then for any elments h1, h2 in H, h1*h2=h2*h1 => h1*h2^(-1) = h2^(-1)*h1. WTS H < CG(H)
WTS two things:
1) H is nonempty
2) for any h1, h2 in H => h1*h2^(-1) is in H
Obviously H is nonempty since the identity is there.
Let h1, h2 in H
Then since h1*h2=h2*h1 => h1*h2^(-1) = h2^(-1)*h1
How do I show from here that it implies that h1*h2^(-1) is in H?

Thanks!

I think I might be a little confused about the second part. Do you mean:
H is a subgroup of G's Centrelizer <=> H is abelian
of
H is a subgroup of H's Centralizer <=> H is abelian ?

In either case, it seems that the => direction (well, both directions) are pretty easy. If H is a subgroup of a centralizer (any centralizer really) then by definition it is abelian. All the stuff in the centralizer commutes with all the elements of the the group of which it is a centralizer, in particular, stuff in the centralizer commute with everything else in the centralizer. This is an abelian group.

The <= direction is not too hard, either, but I'll let you do that one.

BTW: I might have mis-read the question, my apologies if I have.

H < CG(H) <=> H is Abelian

CG(H) is the centralizer of H in G.

Being a centralizer of H in G, just saying every element of H commute with every element of G. It does NOT say anything about the relationship between elements inside the H. We need to use the fact that H is a subgroup of G and H is also a subgroup of its centralizer in G to show that for any two elements h1, h2 in H they do commute, that is h1*h2=h2*h1.

Ahh, yes, I was thinking of Center; I thought you were talking about the Center of G.

Anyway, as you said: centralizer CG(H) = {g in G|gh = hg for all h in H}

That is, C(H) is all the stuff in G that commutes with all the stuff in H, right? To show => we assume that H is a subgroup of C(H), right? Therefore, if h is in H, then h is also in C and so h commutes with every element of H, right? Doesn't that imply that every element of H is an element of C(H) and therefore commutes with every element of H, making H abelian?

Yeah, that's true, as simple as it is. Doesn't even need any algebraic proof, just simply explain it out then.

Exactly, though I would still call this an algebraic proof. It is just using the definitions of algebraic structures. Of course, you could always do it with set-builder notation, and more symbols if you wanted.

1. What is a subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of a group that is itself a group with the same operation as the original group. It contains the identity element and is closed under the group operation and inverse operation.

2. What is the centralizer of a subgroup?

The centralizer of a subgroup is the set of elements in the larger group that commute with all elements of the subgroup. In other words, it is the set of elements that leave the subgroup unchanged when multiplied with any element in the subgroup.

3. How is H a subgroup of its centralizer?

H is a subgroup of its centralizer because it satisfies the definition of a subgroup - it is a subset of the centralizer that is closed under the group operation and inverse operation. This means that when any element in H is multiplied with an element in the centralizer, the result is still in H.

4. What does it mean for H to be Abelian?

A group is Abelian if its group operation is commutative, meaning that the order in which elements are multiplied does not change the result. In other words, for any elements a and b in the group, a * b = b * a.

5. How does H being Abelian relate to it being a subgroup of its centralizer?

If H is Abelian, it means that all elements in H commute with each other, and therefore also commute with all elements in the centralizer. This implies that H is a subset of the centralizer and also a subgroup, as all elements in H are closed under the group operation and inverse operation. Therefore, H being Abelian is a necessary condition for it to be a subgroup of its centralizer.