1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[H,Q] = 0 means d<Q>/dt = 0 proof

1. Apr 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show any operator Q that commutes with the Hamiltonian, [Q,H] = 0, is conserved in the above sense (d/dt〈Ψ|QΨ〉 = 0).
    The solution to this problem is as follows:

iħd/dt〈Ψ|QΨ〉 = (iħd/dt〈Ψ|)|QΨ〉 + 〈Ψ|(|Qiħd/dtΨ〉 = –〈HΨ|QΨ〉 + 〈Ψ|QHΨ〉 = 〈Ψ|[QH]Ψ〉 = 0.

What I am confused about is the second step:

[tex]
    \[i\hbar \frac{d}{{dt}}\left\langle \psi \right|\left. {Q\psi } \right\rangle = \left\langle {i\hbar \frac{d}{{dt}}\psi } \right|\left. {Q\psi } \right\rangle + \left\langle \psi \right|\left. {Qi\hbar \frac{d}{{dt}}\psi } \right\rangle\]
    [/tex]

Why is this true? Where did the sum come from? Why is the Hamiltonian before Q in the second term of the sum? What allows you to put it in that order? Does it matter (I assume it does since we're trying to prove a commutation relation here..)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2008 #2
    well, poisson brackets satsify the next relation where @ stands for partial derivative:
    df/dt=[f,H]+@f/@t
    so what you wrote in the title is correct only if f isn't explicitly depended on t.
    for your last question obviously we have here the derivative of a multiplication.
    in a unitary space, <psi|Q(psi)>=<Q(psi)|psi>* where * stands for complex conjugate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?