Half-harmonic oscillator potential

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the allowed energies of a potential, specifically the ordinary harmonic oscillator potential with an infinite potential for negative values of x. The suggestion is made that all odd-numbered energies (n=1,3,5...) are allowed because the corresponding wave functions have a value of 0 at x=0. This is further explained through the use of a formula and the concept of adding or removing x values with each application. The conversation concludes with a mention of considering functions that are not normalized in the harmonic oscillator potential.
broegger
I have to find the allowed energies of this potential:

[tex]
\[V(x)=
\begin{cases}
\frac1{2}m\omega^2x^2 & \text{for } x > 0\\
\infty & \text{for } x < 0
\end{cases}
\]
[/tex]

My suggestion is that all the odd-numbered energies (n = 1, 3, 5...) in the ordinary harmonic osc. potential are allowed since [tex]\psi(0) = 0[/tex] in the corresponding wave functions and this is consistent with the fact that [tex]\psi(x)[/tex] has to be 0 where the potential is infinite.

In the assignment it says that it takes some careful thought to reach this result and it took me 10 seconds to figure this out. In other words; somethings is wrong :tongue2:

PS. I am new to quantum mechanics so please don't use any obscure notation :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
Ha Ha, no thing is wrong with your solution. You're just a smart cookie. :smile:

Wow, that was fast! Thanks. :smile:

question: how do you prove that odd N numbered solutions to the harmonic oscillator are odd? It's not necessary to solve this problem, but I'm trying to remember what my teacher said about it. I assume that you can prove that [tex]A_+ \psi_0 [/tex] is odd, while [tex]A_+^2 \psi_0 [/tex] is even.

You can f.e. write

[itex] \phi_n=d(a_+)^n \phi_0 [/itex], while [itex] \phi_0 = c e^{-(\frac{x}{2x_0})^2} [/itex].

Knowing something like [itex] a_+ = (\frac{x}{x_0} - x_0 \frac{d}{dx}) [/itex] (not completely sure about this) you can see that [itex]a_+[/itex] adds or removes one x to/from every term every time you apply it, so the resulting function must be odd/even.

edit: I remember I also did the "half-oscillator" this way, but my professor said that you also have to consider functions which are not normalized in the harmonic oszillator potential, and prove that there is no even function with [itex] \phi_n(0) = 0 [/itex].

Last edited:

What is a half-harmonic oscillator potential?

A half-harmonic oscillator potential is a mathematical model used in physics to describe the behavior of a system that is in a state of constant oscillation around a central point. It differs from a regular harmonic oscillator potential in that it only allows for oscillations in one direction, while a regular harmonic oscillator potential allows for oscillations in both directions.

What are the equations used to describe a half-harmonic oscillator potential?

The equations used to describe a half-harmonic oscillator potential are the same as those used for a regular harmonic oscillator potential, with the exception that the potential function is only defined for positive values of the variable. The equations are:
Position function: x(t) = A cos(ωt + φ)
Velocity function: v(t) = -Aω sin(ωt + φ)
Acceleration function: a(t) = -Aω2 cos(ωt + φ)

What is the significance of the half-harmonic oscillator potential in physics?

The half-harmonic oscillator potential is an important model used in physics to describe the behavior of many physical systems, such as springs, pendulums, and electronic circuits. It helps to understand the concept of oscillations, which are a fundamental part of many natural phenomena.

What are the key properties of a half-harmonic oscillator potential?

The key properties of a half-harmonic oscillator potential are that it is a symmetric potential, with a minimum at the origin, and it only allows for oscillations in one direction. It is also a conservative potential, meaning that energy is conserved in the system as it oscillates.

How is a half-harmonic oscillator potential different from a regular harmonic oscillator potential?

The main difference between a half-harmonic oscillator potential and a regular harmonic oscillator potential is that the half-harmonic oscillator only allows for oscillations in one direction, while the regular harmonic oscillator allows for oscillations in both directions. This means that the half-harmonic oscillator has a more limited range of motion compared to the regular harmonic oscillator.