Half wave vs peak detector circuit

In summary: The half-wave rectifier is useful for converting AC to DC, while the peak detector is more useful in detecting peaks in an AC signal.
onceinalifetim
hello

I would like to know what is the different between half wave rectifier circuit and peak detector circuit..
as what i know from half wave.. it only take the positive wave only..
then what about peak detector ??

Engineering news on Phys.org
The half wave delivers, say, the positive half cycles. Between those half-cycles it delivers nothing, i.e., it delivers zero volts.

The peak detector holds its value, so it doesn't deliver anything recognizable as half-cycles. Between the peaks of the AC it delivers the same voltage as the last peak. Instead of half-sinusoids, it delivers a roughly steady level, equal to the peak value of the most recent positive half-sinusoid.

For further detail, google.

do they work the same way? thanks for the reply

A peak detector should do something more along the lines of this (this one is self resetting, it doesn't need to be! it might just hold the peak, that's what 'traditional' ones do)

They don't work in exactly the same way although they have similar components. The peak detector for any practical purposes usually requires an op amp. You can build one without an op amp, but you will not detect the peak as you will lose some voltage across the diode which prevents the 'peak' from discharging. The op amp can be used to compensate the diode drop. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precision_rectifier

Please check out this thread about a peak detector build here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=713307

Attachments

• ppd.jpg
    ppd.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 656
Last edited:
onceinalifetim said:
do they work the same way? thanks for the reply
That depends on the application. There are places where you could replace one by the other, but mostly not.

The peak detector has already begun the process of "smoothing", whereas the half-wave rectifier shows no smoothing.

the reason why i ask because I am currently working on a autoguilded vechile project and am doing the sensor circuit... my PIC need DC signals.. so i need to change AC to DC.. that why am thinking to choose half wave or peak detector..

1. What is a half wave vs peak detector circuit?

A half wave vs peak detector circuit is an electronic circuit that is used to convert an alternating current (AC) signal into a direct current (DC) signal. It is commonly used in electronic devices to extract the peak or maximum value of an AC signal.

2. How does a half wave vs peak detector circuit work?

In a half wave vs peak detector circuit, a diode is connected in series with a resistor and a capacitor. When an AC signal is applied, the diode allows only the positive half cycles to pass through, while blocking the negative half cycles. The capacitor then charges to the peak voltage of the positive half cycle, and this voltage is held until the next positive half cycle is reached.

3. What are the advantages of using a half wave vs peak detector circuit?

One advantage of using a half wave vs peak detector circuit is that it is simple and inexpensive to implement. It also has a fast response time, making it suitable for applications that require quick detection of peak values. Additionally, it has a wide range of input signal frequencies that it can handle.

4. What are the limitations of a half wave vs peak detector circuit?

A major limitation of a half wave vs peak detector circuit is that it can only detect the peak value of an AC signal, and thus cannot accurately measure the actual amplitude. It also has a tendency to introduce ripple or fluctuations in the output voltage, which can affect the accuracy of the measurement. For this reason, it is not suitable for precise measurements.

5. In what applications is a half wave vs peak detector circuit commonly used?

A half wave vs peak detector circuit is commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and audio equipment to extract the audio signal from radio frequency (RF) signals. It is also used in power supplies to convert AC power into DC power. Additionally, it can be used in electronic instruments for voltage measurements and in data transmission systems for peak detection of signals.