Is the 8800GTX causing Halo problems? See screenshots for evidence.

• Thread starter linux kid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Halo
In summary, the speaker has been experiencing issues with their computer while playing Halo, despite updating all drivers. The issue does not occur in another game, BF2. The speaker has shared screenshots of the problem and mentions purchasing an 11" graphics card. They also mention a possible driver issue with D3D.
linux kid
This has been going on for a while on and BFG is unable to help me.
I have updated all drivers for my computer after formating and still no go.
Oddly this only happens in Halo (no prob in BF2).
Here are some screens:
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/489/halo19nz.jpg
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/8681/badhalo6ss.jpg
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/6239/abadhalo4za.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I see you paid to go up to 11" in length...

PS: The card is 11" long.

verty said:
I see you paid to go up to 11" in length...

PS: The card is 11" long.

Umm...I think...:uhh:

It was prettly long and pricey ;)

I made a poor attempt at a joke, never mind that. Seems like a driver issue with D3D.

1. What is the "Halo problem" in relation to the 8800GTX?

The "Halo problem" refers to a common issue that has been reported by users of the NVIDIA 8800GTX graphics card. It causes a visible halo or glow effect around objects in certain games or applications, which can be distracting and negatively impact the visual experience.

2. Why does the Halo problem occur specifically with the 8800GTX?

The Halo problem is thought to be caused by a limitation in the 8800GTX's anti-aliasing (AA) filter. AA is a graphics technique used to smooth out jagged edges and improve image quality, but in the case of the 8800GTX, it can result in the halo effect due to the way the filter is applied.

3. Can the Halo problem be fixed or is it a permanent issue?

The Halo problem can be minimized or even eliminated by adjusting the AA settings or using third-party software. However, it is a hardware limitation of the 8800GTX and cannot be completely fixed. Newer graphics cards have since addressed this issue and do not experience the Halo problem.

4. Are there any other factors that can contribute to the Halo problem?

In addition to the 8800GTX's AA filter, the Halo problem can also be exacerbated by a low quality monitor, poor graphics driver optimization, or outdated game software. It is important to troubleshoot and address these factors in order to improve the overall visual performance and reduce the Halo effect.

5. Is the Halo problem a significant issue or just a minor annoyance?

The severity of the Halo problem can vary depending on personal preferences and the specific game or application being used. Some may find it to be a minor annoyance, while others may find it to be a significant issue. However, it is a known limitation of the 8800GTX and does not impact the functionality or performance of the graphics card.