Hamiltonian mechanics: phase diagram

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of operating final equations to obtain a phase diagram. The suggestion is made to write down the Hamiltonian in Descartes x,y,z coordinates, but the statement specifies to use spherical and cylindrical coordinates. It is emphasized that converting from Cartesian coordinates is a fundamental skill in physics and should be taught early on. However, it is important to be aware of singularities and be careful with vector fields. The speaker also mentions that using Cartesian coordinates is a safe approach, especially for setting up problems correctly.
LuccaP4
Homework Statement
Write the Hamiltonian and Hamilton equations for an isotropic three-dimensional harmonic oscillator in spherical and cylindrical coordinates. Build the phase diagram.
Relevant Equations
The issue here is that I don't know how to operate the final equations in order to get the phase diagram. I suppose some things are held constant so I can get a known curve such as an ellipse.
I attach the solved part, I don't know how to go on.

82b7dc783b13b50dc3ca40487b662bda.png

15149cb5c8aaf6a5e8f17f9e9c406f07.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As a start how about writing down Hamiltonian in Descartes x,y,z coordinates ?

anuttarasammyak said:
But the statement says to write it in spherical and cylindrical coordinates. I have to build the phase space in that coordinates.

You can get it by transformation from Descartes coordinates.

anuttarasammyak said:
LuccaP4 said:
But the statement says to write it in spherical and cylindrical coordinates. I have to build the phase space in that coordinates.

This is a fundamental skill in physics that isn't taught very well anymore, think of it this way, you don't think in terms of spherical or cylindrical coordinates, you think in terms of [itex]x,y,z[/itex]. The best way to start for nearly any problem is to write all your quantities in Cartesian coordinates and convert. I used to make my students in electromagnetics do this and if they didn't took major points off.

anuttarasammyak said:
You can get it by transformation from Descartes coordinates.
Dr Transport said:
This is a fundamental skill in physics that isn't taught very well anymore, think of it this way, you don't think in terms of spherical or cylindrical coordinates, you think in terms of [itex]x,y,z[/itex]. The best way to start for nearly any problem is to write all your quantities in Cartesian coordinates and convert. I used to make my students in electromagnetics do this and if they didn't took major points off.
Okay, then I'll do that. Thanks.

Dr Transport said:
Really? The use of the mos convenient coordinates for a given problem is a skill physicists cannot learn early enough.

What's however important to stress is where the used coordinates have singularities and to be careful with expressions like ##\Delta \vec{A}## for a vector field ##\vec{A}## when calculated not in Cartesian coordinates.

vanhees71 said:
Really? The use of the mos convenient coordinates for a given problem is a skill physicists cannot learn early enough.

I agree, on the other hand an undergraduate hasn't enough experience setting up problems. In highly symmetric cases, sure, but anything else, why take the chance of going off into left field.

I was taught to do it that way from some really fine physicists in my formative years and that is the way I taught it, it works. I'm a mere mortal, I do what works to at least set up the problem correctly. Take for example, the Lagrangians for this problem, I couldn't write them down from memory, but if I started with the Cartesian versions, I'd have them written in less than half a page. Same for electro-static/magneto-static problems.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is Hamiltonian mechanics?

Hamiltonian mechanics is a mathematical framework used to describe the motion of systems in classical mechanics. It is based on the principle of conservation of energy and uses the concept of phase space to represent the state of a system at any given time.

2. What is a phase diagram in Hamiltonian mechanics?

A phase diagram in Hamiltonian mechanics is a graphical representation of the possible states of a system in phase space. It shows the evolution of the system over time and can provide insights into the behavior and stability of the system.

3. How is a phase diagram constructed?

A phase diagram is constructed by plotting the position and momentum of a system on a graph, with each point representing a unique state of the system. The equations of motion, derived from the Hamiltonian, can then be used to trace the path of the system in phase space.

4. What information can be obtained from a phase diagram?

A phase diagram can provide information about the stability, periodicity, and energy conservation of a system. It can also reveal the presence of fixed points, which represent equilibrium states, and can be used to predict the behavior of the system over time.

5. How is a phase diagram used in practical applications?

Phase diagrams are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and chemistry, to study the behavior of complex systems. They are particularly useful in predicting the behavior of physical systems such as pendulums, oscillators, and planetary motion.