What is the Hamiltonian operator for a decaying Carbon-14 atom?

In summary, the Hamiltonian operator for a decaying Carbon-14 atom undergoing beta decay can be understood through studying its quantum-mechanical description using Fermi's Golden Rule and the properties of charged particles that produce an electromagnetic field. This process involves the conversion of a proton into a neutron, the emission of a beta particle (either an electron or a positron), and a quasi-massless particle, the neutrino. Further details and references for the Hamiltonian can be found in the provided links.
Joshua L
Hey, here's a quick question:

What is the Hamiltonian operator corresponding to a decaying Carbon-14 atom.

Any insight is quite appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
what type of decay ? if its fermi decay ( beta decay) take H(i to f) !

Yes, it's beta decay. But, unfortunately, I haven't taken any quantum mechanics courses yet. I know the concept and some general examples of the Hamiltonian, but I do not know what "take H(i to f)" means.

Joshua L said:
But, unfortunately, I haven't taken any quantum mechanics courses yet.

But a qualitative understanding of Mechanism of decay has to be made up;

The beta decay is a radioactive decay in which a proton in a nucleus is converted into a neutron (or vice-versa).

In the process the nucleus emits a beta particle (either an electron or a positron) and quasi-massless particle, the neutrino.
The properties of beta decay can be understood by studying its quantum-mechanical description via Fermi’s Golden rule,

as done for gamma decay. 2π |� | W = ψ Vˆ h |ψ | 2 f i� ρ(Ef ) After all, we are familiar with charged particles that produce (create) an e.m. field. However in QM photons are also particles, and by analogy we can have also creation of other types of particles, such as the electron and the neutrino.
see details
Page 101-<http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/nuclear-engineering/22-02-introduction-to-applied-nuclear-physics-spring-2012/lecture-notes/MIT22>
http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/ch374/ch418518/Chapter 8 Beta Decay-rev.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Hamiltonian of Carbon-14?

The Hamiltonian of Carbon-14 is a mathematical operator used to describe and predict the behavior of a Carbon-14 atom. It takes into account the kinetic energy and potential energy of the atom, and is essential in studying its quantum mechanical properties.

2. How is the Hamiltonian of Carbon-14 calculated?

The Hamiltonian of Carbon-14 is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. This equation takes into account the mass and charge of the atom, as well as its position and momentum, to determine its energy and behavior.

3. Why is the Hamiltonian of Carbon-14 important?

The Hamiltonian of Carbon-14 is important because it allows scientists to accurately predict and understand the behavior of this radioactive isotope. It is used in various fields such as nuclear physics, chemistry, and radiocarbon dating, and plays a crucial role in our understanding of the atom and the universe.

4. What factors affect the Hamiltonian of Carbon-14?

The Hamiltonian of Carbon-14 is affected by various factors such as the mass and charge of the atom, its position and momentum, and the potential energy of its surrounding environment. Additionally, external factors such as magnetic fields and other particles can also influence its behavior.

5. How does the Hamiltonian of Carbon-14 relate to radioactive decay?

The Hamiltonian of Carbon-14 is directly related to the process of radioactive decay. As the atom decays, its energy decreases and the Hamiltonian changes accordingly. This change in energy is what allows scientists to measure the rate of decay and accurately date organic materials using Carbon-14 dating methods.