Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Hamiltonian of Carbon-14?

1. Feb 28, 2016 #1
    Hey, here's a quick question:

What is the Hamiltonian operator corresponding to a decaying Carbon-14 atom.

Any insight is quite appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2016 #2
    what type of decay ? if its fermi decay ( beta decay) take H(i to f) !

4. Feb 29, 2016 #3
    Yes, it's beta decay. But, unfortunately, I haven't taken any quantum mechanics courses yet. I know the concept and some general examples of the Hamiltonian, but I do not know what "take H(i to f)" means.

5. Feb 29, 2016 #4
    But a qualitative understanding of Mechanism of decay has to be made up;

The beta decay is a radioactive decay in which a proton in a nucleus is converted into a neutron (or vice-versa).

In the process the nucleus emits a beta particle (either an electron or a positron) and quasi-massless particle, the neutrino.
    The properties of beta decay can be understood by studying its quantum-mechanical description via Fermi’s Golden rule,

as done for gamma decay. 2π |� | W = ψ Vˆ h |ψ | 2 f i� ρ(Ef ) After all, we are familiar with charged particles that produce (create) an e.m. field. However in QM photons are also particles, and by analogy we can have also creation of other types of particles, such as the electron and the neutrino.
    see details
    Page 101-<http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/nuclear-engineering/22-02-introduction-to-applied-nuclear-physics-spring-2012/lecture-notes/MIT22> [Broken]
    http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/ch374/ch418518/Chapter 8 Beta Decay-rev.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  6. Mar 2, 2016 #5
  7. Mar 2, 2016 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted