Obtain Equation Using Hamilton's Principle

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Hamilton's Principle to obtain an equation for a system with a Lagrangian "L". The kinetic and potential energies, as well as the work, are given by equations involving various constants. The "extended Hamilton's Principle" is introduced, which involves taking the variation of kinetic energy, potential energy, and work over time. However, there is confusion about the variation for potential energy and the correct way to apply Hamilton's Principle in this scenario.
Last-cloud
I want to obtain equation using Hamilton principle but I just couldn't figure it out;
i have The kinetic energy :
\begin{equation}
E_{k}=\dfrac{1}{2}m_{z} \displaystyle\int\limits_{0}^{L}\ \left[ \left( \dfrac{\partial w(x,t)}{\partial t}\right)^{2}+\left( \dfrac{\partial v(x,t)}{\partial t}\right)^{2}\right] dx
\end{equation}
and The potential energy $ E_{p} $

\begin{equation}
\begin{split}
E_{p} &= \dfrac{1}{2}EI \displaystyle\int\limits_{0}^{L}\ \left[\dfrac{\partial^{2} w(x,t)}{\partial x^{2}} \right]^{2} dx + \dfrac{1}{2}T \displaystyle\int\limits_{0}^{L}\ \left[\dfrac{\partial w(x,t)}{\partial x} \right]^{2} dx \; + \\
& \dfrac{1}{2}EA \displaystyle\int\limits_{0}^{L}\ \left\lbrace \dfrac{\partial v(x,t)}{\partial x} \; + \; \dfrac{1}{2} \left[\dfrac{\partial w(x,t)}{\partial x} \right]^{2} \right\rbrace^{2} dx
\end{split}
\end{equation}
The work is given by :
\begin{equation}
\begin{split}
W &=W_{F}+W_{d}+W_{m} \\
&=\displaystyle\int\limits_{0}^{L}\ \left\lbrace \left[ f(x,t)-c_{1} \dfrac{\partial w(x,t)}{\partial t}\right] w(x,t) \;-\; c_{2}\left[ \dfrac{\partial v(x,t)}{\partial t}\right] v(x,t) \right\rbrace \;dx \\
&+ u_{T}w(x,t)+u_{L}v(x,t)
\end{split}
\end{equation}
and i should use The extended Hamilton’s principle to obtain the equation
\begin{equation}
\displaystyle\int\limits_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}}\ \delta\left( E_{k}-E_{p}+W\right) dt = 0
\end{equation}
shuch that :
\begin{equation}
\delta \displaystyle\int\limits_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}}\ L dt = \displaystyle\int\limits_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}}\ \delta L dt = \displaystyle\int\limits_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}}\ \left( \dfrac{\partial L}{\partial q}-\dfrac{d}{dt}\left(\dfrac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}}\right) \right) \delta q dt
\end{equation}

the variation for the Kinetic energy i think it's :
\begin{equation}
\displaystyle\int\limits_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}}\ \delta E_{k_{1}} dt = -\displaystyle\int\limits_{0}^{L}\ \displaystyle\int\limits_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}}\ m_{z}\ddot{w} \; \delta w \; dt \; dx
\end{equation}
and
\begin{equation}
\displaystyle\int\limits_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}}\ \delta E_{k_{2}} dt = -\displaystyle\int\limits_{0}^{L}\ \displaystyle\int\limits_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}}\ m_{z}\ddot{v} \; \delta v \; dt \; dx
\end{equation}
but the variation for potential energy i couldn't do it , because what i think is
\begin{equation}
\dfrac{\partial E_{p}}{\partial w} = 0
\end{equation}
because
\begin{equation}
\dfrac{\partial w''}{\partial w} = 0
\end{equation}
i know there is something wrong with my reasoning but I don't know what it is.
what should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
What system are you applying Hamilton's Principle to?
What you have called the "extended Hamilton's Principle" looks a bit strange to me, but I hesitate to say too much until I know what problem you are working.

the system that I'm applying Hamilton's Principle to , is the Lagrangian "L" such that
\begin{equation}
\begin{split}
L&=E_{k}-E_{p}+W=\\
&\dfrac{1}{2}m_{z} \displaystyle\int\limits_{0}^{L}\ \left[ \left( \dfrac{\partial w(x,t)}{\partial t}\right)^{2}+\left( \dfrac{\partial v(x,t)}{\partial t}\right)^{2}\right] dx-\\
&\dfrac{1}{2}EI \displaystyle\int\limits_{0}^{L}\ \left[\dfrac{\partial^{2} w(x,t)}{\partial x^{2}} \right]^{2} dx + \dfrac{1}{2}T \displaystyle\int\limits_{0}^{L}\ \left[\dfrac{\partial w(x,t)}{\partial x} \right]^{2} dx \; +
\dfrac{1}{2}EA \displaystyle\int\limits_{0}^{L}\ \left\lbrace \dfrac{\partial v(x,t)}{\partial x} \; + \; \dfrac{1}{2} \left[\dfrac{\partial w(x,t)}{\partial x} \right]^{2} \right\rbrace^{2} dx+\\
&\displaystyle\int\limits_{0}^{L}\ \left\lbrace \left[ f(x,t)-c_{1} \dfrac{\partial w(x,t)}{\partial t}\right] w(x,t) \;-\; c_{2}\left[ \dfrac{\partial v(x,t)}{\partial t}\right] v(x,t) \right\rbrace \;dx \\
&+ u_{T}w(x,t)+u_{L}v(x,t)
\end{split}
\end{equation}
where
\begin{equation}
m_{z},EI,EA,T,c_{1},c_{2} \;\;\; are \;\;\; constants
\end{equation}

but i thought i should use Hamilton's Principle like this :
\begin{equation}
\displaystyle\int\limits_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}}\ \delta\left( E_{k}-E_{p}+W\right) dt = 0 \Longrightarrow
\displaystyle\int\limits_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}}\ \left( \delta E_{k}-\delta E_{p}+\delta W\right) dt = 0
\end{equation}
and i am calling it "extended Hamilton's Principle" because the Lagrangian is usualy kinetic energy - potential energy but when now there is work in the equation

What is Hamilton's Principle?

Hamilton's Principle, also known as the Principle of Least Action, is a fundamental principle in classical mechanics that states that a system will follow a path that minimizes the action integral, which is a measure of the total energy of the system over time.

How is Hamilton's Principle used to obtain equations?

Hamilton's Principle is used to obtain equations of motion for a system by considering all possible paths that the system could follow and finding the path that minimizes the action integral. This path, known as the "principle path", is the actual path that the system will follow.

What is the mathematical equation for Hamilton's Principle?

The mathematical equation for Hamilton's Principle is written as S[q(t)] = ∫L(q, ẋ, t) dt, where S is the action integral, L is the Lagrangian function, q is the generalized coordinate, and is the time derivative of q. This equation represents the total energy of the system over time.

What are the applications of Hamilton's Principle?

Hamilton's Principle has many applications in physics and engineering, particularly in classical mechanics and electromagnetism. It is used to derive equations of motion, study the dynamics of systems, and solve boundary value problems.

What are some limitations of Hamilton's Principle?

While Hamilton's Principle is a powerful tool for understanding the behavior of physical systems, it has some limitations. It is based on the assumption that the system follows a continuous, well-defined path, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, it does not take into account certain effects, such as dissipative forces, which may be important in some systems.