1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Handicapped pendulum assignment

1. Jan 5, 2013 #1
    "Handicapped" pendulum assignment

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with an assignment about a "handicapped" pendulum (you gotta love the professor's taste for scientific terminology). By "handicapped", it is meant that the pendulum is attached to a stationary point, limiting the pendulum's swinging movement. The assignment is about researching the relation between the height of the stationary point and the period of the pendulum.

It's overall a very easy assignment, but I have two problems with it:
    1) I need to prove that T(T stands for period) - 0.5T0 = ∏√((l-h)/(g)), with T0 being Huygens' law = 2∏√(l/g). I don't know how I should make a formula for T, seeing as my only resource is some measurement data, namely:

displacement from equilibrium position: 20 cm
    length: 97 cm
    √(l-h) ---- Period
    8.8 1.88
    8.2 1.85
    7.5 1.76
    6.9 1.69
    6.1 1.61
    5.2 1.54

2) I also have a T', which is the period of a pendulum with a similar stationary point, but this time, it's 5 cm horizontally away from the vertical line of the pendulum. The following measurements were made:

displacement from equilibrium position: 20 cm
    length: 97 cm
    √(l-h) ----- Period
    8.2 1.95
    7.5 1.89
    7.0 1.81
    6.1 1.74
    5.2 1.64

These square roots were calculated with h [itex]\in[/itex] [30;70]. I now have to predict the function's behaviour between h = 0 and h = 30.

Anyone with any ideas as to how to solve one or both of these problems, I would be very thankful to hear them.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2013 #2
    Re: "Handicapped" pendulum assignment

To clarify the height that is meant by h, please check the image:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37807450/Schermafbeelding%202013-01-05%20om%2018.27.26.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jan 5, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The plot should be a straight line, right? So plot the data and compute the R value, slope, etc.

5. Jan 5, 2013 #4

Thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook