Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hann window and FFT

1. Apr 10, 2008 #1
    Hi all,

I am currently looking into the energy correction factor of the Hann window.

So far I have found that to correct for the application of Hann-window and Fourier transform the result needs to be multiplied by sqrt(32)/sqrt(3).

Can any of you explain how to get that factor ?

The amplitude correction factor is 2, that much i grasp...

There is a another factor of 2 as the FFT is performed as a complexed valued operation.

These two factors multiplied is 4 (duhh !)

And when removing that factor from sqrt(32)/sqrt(3) the result is ;

4*sqrt(2)/sqrt(3).

the sqrt(2)/sqrt(3) is the mysteries part. Can anyone explain how to reach this factor ?

Best regards

Lindemose

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2008 #2

rbj

dunno if my markup works. lessee...

i guess it does. the definition for the Hann window (centered at zero and normalized in length) is:

[tex] w(x) = \begin{cases}
    \frac{1}{2}\left(1 + \cos(\pi x) \right) & \mbox{if } |x| \le 1 \\[3pt]
    0 & \mbox{if } |x| > 1
    \end{cases} [/tex]

now, compared to a no window (where w(x) is 1 for the same stretch of data), this window would reduce your mean voltage magnitude (or whatever signal) by a factor of 1/2. but if the issue is power or energy, you have to square it before integrating.

[tex] \int_{-1}^{+1} w^2(x) \ dx = \int_{-1}^{+1} \frac{1}{4}\left(1 + \cos(\pi x) \right)^2 \ dx = \frac{3}{4} [/tex]

if you did it to no window, the integral would be 2. so energy is reduced by a factor of 3/8. now perhaps they are talking about the r.m.s. reduction, then i think the factor is [itex]\sqrt{3/8}[/itex]. that almost looks right, except for a factor of 2.

i can see where the [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] comes from, but not the [itex]\sqrt{32}[/itex]. i think it should be [itex]\sqrt{8}[/itex].

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  4. Apr 11, 2008 #3
    Now that makes all the sense in the world, thank yoy very much.

By the way the sqrt(32)should be sqrt(8) as you point out. I included the the amplitude correction factor of 2 within the number.

Thanks again and best regards !

Lindemose

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?