Are you ready for Valentine's Day?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around different ways to celebrate Valentine's Day with loved ones. The participants share anecdotes and jokes, and some express their opinions on the holiday. There is also a discussion about the origins of Valentine's Day and its traditions. The conversation ends with a reference to the potential commercialization of the holiday.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Happy Valentines day!1111

Happy Valentine's day!

valentinesdaysheltercat.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org

If I cut two pieces of cake and offer one to my wife, she will automatically take the smaller piece. If I want her to have the larger piece I have to deny her a choice and just give it to her. This morning she and I had the standard squabble. This is Valentine's day. Where to you want to go out to eat tonight. I don't know, where do you want to go. I don't know where do you want to go. We nearly came to blows until I finally picked a restaurant. That's not where we're going, it was just a ploy to get her to tell me where she really wants to go. This is fairly standard with us where money is not the limiting resource, time is. So tonight we use up a little of our time together and we both get the larger piece. Happy Valentine's day all.

Jimmy Snyder said:
If I cut two pieces of cake and offer one to my wife, she will automatically take the smaller piece. If I want her to have the larger piece I have to deny her a choice and just give it to her. This morning she and I had the standard squabble. This is Valentine's day. Where to you want to go out to eat tonight. I don't know, where do you want to go. I don't know where do you want to go. We nearly came to blows until I finally picked a restaurant. That's not where we're going, it was just a ploy to get her to tell me where she really wants to go. This is fairly standard with us where money is not the limiting resource, time is. So tonight we use up a little of our time together and we both get the larger piece. Happy Valentine's day all.
Awww, that's so sweet!

Anybody going to drop into V-Day Chat? I am apparently alone in there with a mime. Very quiet.

The cantina at the place where I work is trying to be very original sometimes. Today, since it's Valentine's say, the main meal on the manu was named: "Pork steak with passionate flavor".

turbo-1 said:
Anybody going to drop into V-Day Chat? I am apparently alone in there with a mime. Very quiet.
I'll probably go in when I wake up.

radou said:
The cantina at the place where I work is trying to be very original sometimes. Today, since it's Valentine's say, the main meal on the manu was named: "Pork steak with passionate flavor".
Hmmmm, I wonder what passionate tastes like?

turbo-1 said:

After work.

My heart shaped potato.

potatoheart1.jpg

Some people get flowers, some people get candy, some people get taken out to dinner, or a romantic candlelit dinner at home.

I get a potato.

Last edited:

Make potato soup. La crème passionnel.

Happy Valentimes day!

Evo said:
Some people get flowers, some people get candy, some people get taken out to dinner, or a romantic candlelit dinner at home.

I get a potato.

Aww, Evo-girl! Here's something better for you...
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVsSITfbxp0EMjvlcolx_g14_Xsa4TxfWWP33GnuGfeM25PGbKHA&t=1.jpg

Different ways to say love...
http://www.becks.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/08-fruit-and-vegetable-art-potato-carving-bikini-thumb1.jpg

Hope everyone has a special Valentines day, and of course chocolate.

Wow, I was ready to come in here "hatin' on V-day", but Evo... that is one card I can get behind.

Oh, an I'm really digging the spuds (yes, pun).

I can't, but... can anyone here carve/mold turnips and such?

I just learned that the predecessor to Valentine's Day was the festival of Lupercalia, during which young Roman women lined up to be flogged by drunk men, as this was believed to make them fertile.

Perhaps we should institute a PF version, where the PF ladies line up for a fish slapping!

This is a pretty entertaining read:
http://www.trutv.com/dumb_as_a_blog/gallery/14-dumb-valentines-day-traditions.all.html?link=DCF

Last edited:

I think that cupid molested me when I scrolled down!

edit: Heh... Gokul... stop before the ladies get serious and actually decide to reverse that... :bugeye:

i don't mean to ruin the "spirit" of this day but must a person male or female need one specific day of the year to celebrate or express love..., i mean am i missing something here? or in the month of February the testosterone or estrogen levels get higher in men and women i just don't get.

FizixFreak said:
i don't mean to ruin the "spirit" of this day but must a person male or female need one specific day of the year to celebrate or express love..., i mean am i missing something here? or in the month of February the testosterone or estrogen levels get higher in men and women i just don't get.

The real reason for celebrating Valentine's Day is that it's Oregon's birthday. We turned 152 yesterday.

In regards to your question, there is nothing saying that any celebration of love or romance is limited to Feb 14th. It's just a tradition to take special note on this day each year. And the retailers aren't about to let us forget about it!

FizixFreak said:

I think that link Greg Bernhardt linked to says it all, even though it's through the lens of humor. Remember, this is big business for "luxury" items, and just before taxes too. As for history, there's really nothing to connect "Valentine's Day" and the 'martyrdom' of any number of "St. Valentine(s)".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Valentine

Wikipedia said:
Historian Jack Oruch has made the case that the traditions associated with "Valentine's Day", documented in Geoffrey Chaucer's Parliament of Foules and set in the fictional context of an old tradition, had no such tradition before Chaucer.[19] He argues that the speculative explanation of sentimental customs, posing as historical fact, had their origins among 18th-century antiquaries, notably Alban Butler, the author of Butler's Lives of Saints, and have been perpetuated even by respectable modern scholars. In the French 14th-century manuscript illumination from a Vies des Saints (illustration above), Saint Valentine, bishop of Terni, oversees the construction of his basilica at Terni; there is no suggestion here yet that the bishop was a patron of lovers.[20]

Evo said:
My heart shaped potato.

potatoheart1.jpg

I get a potato.
It's the thought that counts. :biggrin:

I'd actually be a hell of a lot more impressed that someone picked/grew a potato that was molded than I would be with most valentines gifts. Of course, I'm not the target audience... :-p

nismaratwork said:
I'd actually be a hell of a lot more impressed that someone picked/grew a potato that was molded than I would be with most valentines gifts. Of course, I'm not the target audience... :-p
It would have meant more if it had been given to me.

I found it in a bag of potatoes I bought.

Evo said:
It would have meant more if it had been given to me.

I found it in a bag of potatoes I bought.

Ooooooh... Heh... Happy uh...

I think it would be an insult if I finished that sentence, don't you? :wink:

Ivan Seeking said:
And the retailers aren't about to let us forget about it!

well that answers my question:wink:

FAQ: Are you ready for Valentine's Day?

1. What is the significance of Valentine's Day?

Valentine's Day is a holiday celebrated on February 14th every year to commemorate love and affection between romantic partners, friends, and family members. It is a day to express your love and appreciation for the important people in your life.

2. How did Valentine's Day originate?

The origins of Valentine's Day can be traced back to the ancient Roman festival of Lupercalia, which was celebrated on February 15th. It was a fertility festival dedicated to the Roman god of agriculture, Faunus, as well as the founders of Rome, Romulus and Remus. Over time, Lupercalia evolved into a Christian holiday and was renamed Saint Valentine's Day, in honor of a Christian martyr named Valentine.

3. What are some popular Valentine's Day traditions?

Some popular Valentine's Day traditions include exchanging gifts such as flowers, chocolates, and cards with loved ones, going out on romantic dates, and writing love letters or poems. Another popular tradition is to give and receive heart-shaped items, as the heart is a symbol of love.

4. How can I make Valentine's Day special for my partner?

You can make Valentine's Day special for your partner by planning a thoughtful and romantic date, such as a candlelit dinner at home or a weekend getaway. You can also surprise them with a meaningful gift or create a personalized experience, such as a homemade meal or a scrapbook of your memories together.

5. What are some alternative ways to celebrate Valentine's Day?

If you're not into traditional Valentine's Day celebrations, there are many alternative ways to celebrate. You can spend the day volunteering at a charity together, have a Galentine's Day celebration with your friends, or treat yourself to a spa day. It's also a great opportunity to express love and appreciation for yourself.