1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hard? implicit differentiation

1. Oct 19, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find d^2y/dx^2 in terms of x and y.

2. Relevant equations

property rule, chain rule, quotient rule,

3. The attempt at a solution

I can do this the long way, but there must be a shorter solution. Can I simplify it? I've found [tex]dy/dx=(-xy^2 +2x)/(2x^2y)[/tex]. but the derivative of that takes a ridiculous amount of steps. If there isn't a shorter way then I'll just take my time.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2007 #2
    this is how i would simplify

there aren't that many steps, it only took me 3 steps, maybe you're doing something wrong, if you want show your steps and i'll be happy to help further.
  4. Oct 19, 2007 #3
    OK thanks, that simplification made the first derivative easier and pointed out to me that my original calculation had a mistake. My math skills have quite a few holes. So now I have [tex]dy/dx= (-xy^2+1)/(x^2y)[/tex] so is there another simplification I'm overlooking? If I differentiate that it's still a bit messy and I'm learning there is always an easier way... well sometimes.
  5. Oct 19, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your answer for dy/dx in post #3 is correct. I'm not sure how you want to simplify this. You could write [tex]\frac{1-xy^2}{x^2y}=\frac{1}{x^2y}-\frac{y}{x}[/tex] but I'm not sure that this is simpler to differentiate.
  6. Oct 19, 2007 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm wondering what "long way" you used. Straight forward implicit differentiation does seem that long to me!

[tex]x^2y^2- 2x= 3[/tex]
    Differentiating once:
    [tex]2xy^2+ 2x^2yy'- 2= 0[/tex]
    Differenitiating again:
    [tex]2y^2+ 4xyy'+ 4xyy'+ 2x^2(y')^2+ 2x^2yy"= 0[/tex]
    [tex]-2x^2yy"= 2y^2+ 8xyy'+ 2x^2(y')^2[/tex]
    Now divide by [itex]-2x^2y[/itex] to get
    [tex]-\frac{2y^2+ 8xyy'+ 2x^2(y')^2}{2x^2y}[/tex]

Since the derivative will necessarily have "y" in it, I would see no reason to write y' as a function of x which I think is the "hard" part of what you did.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?