1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(Hard) work done by damped, driven oscillator as function of time

1. Dec 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Force F = const is applied to H.O. initially at rest with mass m, freq w0, damping T. Find x(t). Find work as function of time.
    2. Relevant equations
    mx'' + Tx' + kx = F for F= Constant

3. The attempt at a solution

First obtain complimentary solution for free H.O. which I get after some work is x(t) = x0e^-(Tt)coswt + ((v0 + T *x0) / w )*e^(-Tt)sinwt. This agrees with textbook, but NOTE: w here is not equal to w0 for initial frequency and v0 can be taken to be zero. Now...if I try to apply variation of constant and use Wronskian I get a mess for the integrals. So where do I go from here to get my particular solution and then if I obtain it how to I obtain work as function of time?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2016 #2
    For work could I just plug x(t) = x(particular) + x(complimentary) into my initial ode and integrate w.r.t. x?

4. Dec 20, 2016 #3
    However, x free should 0 as the oscillator is at rest so I just need the forced solution for F=const.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted