Hardly even understand problem statement.

• Thread starter V0ODO0CH1LD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even
In summary, the function f assigns a subset of real numbers to each x, and this subset is determined by the condition sin y < x. The notation f(x) = R means that the output of f for a given x is the set of all numbers whose sine is less than x.
V0ODO0CH1LD

Homework Statement

Let f: R → P(R) given by:

f(x) = {y ∈ R; sin y < x}.

If A is such that f(x) = R for every x ∈ A, then:

(i) A = [-1, 1];
(ii) A = (-∞, a] for every a < -1;
(iii) A = [a, ∞) for every a > 1;
(iv) A = (-∞, a] for every a ≤ -1;
(v) A = [a, ∞) for every a ≥ 1;

Homework Equations

I have no idea which equations are relevant to this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess all I know is that it is not (i), since it would be (i) if f(x) = {y ∈ R; sin y = x}. But I am not even sure of that. Could you guys shed a light on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
V0ODO0CH1LD said:

Homework Statement

What does P(R) mean?
Also, what does R mean? In the notation above, R usually means the set of real numbers, but below you have f(x) = R. Did you mean f(x) ##\in ## R?

V0ODO0CH1LD said:

If A is such that f(x) = R for every x ∈ A, then:

(i) A = [-1, 1];
(ii) A = (-∞, a] for every a < -1;
(iii) A = [a, ∞) for every a > 1;
(iv) A = (-∞, a] for every a ≤ -1;
(v) A = [a, ∞) for every a ≥ 1;

Homework Equations

I have no idea which equations are relevant to this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess all I know is that it is not (i), since it would be (i) if f(x) = {y ∈ R; sin y = x}. But I am not even sure of that. Could you guys shed a light on this?

P(R) probably means power set of real numbers, meaning to each real number x it assigns a subset of real numbers. You can imagine that for each number x it assigns a set of numbers, such that sin y < x. You can imagine a plot of sine with horizontal line located at height x, and the f(x) would be the the set where the sine function is lower that this line. Just make a picture. Notation in this example is somewhat confusing.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
What does P(R) mean?
Also, what does R mean? In the notation above, R usually means the set of real numbers, but below you have f(x) = R. Did you mean f(x) ##\in ## R?

Sorry R means ℝ. And P(R) means the power set of the real numbers. f(x) = R is the way it is written in the problem statement, I'm not really sure if it means that f(x) ##\in ## R.

Alesak said:
P(R) probably means power set of real numbers. You can imagine that for each number x it assigns a set of numbers, such that sin y < x. You can imagine a plot of sine with horizontal line located at height x, and the f(x) would be the the set where the sine function is lower that this line. Just make a picture. Notation in this example is somewhat confusing.

It is totally confusing for me! So f: R → P(R) means that f assigns to x a subset of the reals? Isn't that against the definition of a function? Isn't is so that a function can't have more than one output? Or is the one output that whole subset of R? Also, does f(x) = R also means that f(x) belongs to the reals?

Here is a plot of the function:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=sin+y+<+x

I still don't understand how f assigns a value (or set of values) for a given x.

Last edited:
It is totally confusing for me! So f: R → P(R) means that f assigns to x a subset of the reals? Isn't that against the definition of a function? Isn't is so that a function can't have more than one output? Or is the one output that whole subset of R? Also, does f(x) = R also means that f(x) belongs to the reals?

I still don't understand how f assigns a value (or set of values) for a given x.

What happens when you take power set of some set is that each subset is taken as element of P(S), where S is arbitrary set. For example, power set of S = {1, 2, 3} is {{1}, {2}, {3}, {1, 3}, {2, 3}, {1, 2, 3}}. So function from, say, R to P(x) assigns to each real number a subset of that set, which means element of the set {{1}, {2}, {3}, {1, 3}, {2, 3}, {1, 2, 3}}. You can write f(5) = {2, 3} without any problems.

Don't forget that elements of sets can be sets themselves!

Last edited:
More appropriate mathematica example would be this:

sin x < 0.5

can you show the f(0.5) on that picture?

V0ODO0CH1LD said:
Sorry R means ℝ. And P(R) means the power set of the real numbers. f(x) = R is the way it is written in the problem statement, I'm not really sure if it means that f(x) ##\in ## R.

The function f assigns a set to each x, rather than a number. That is NOT against the general definition of a "function", because the values of a function (i.e., the elements of its range) need not be numbers.

RGV

Alesak said:
More appropriate mathematica example would be this:

sin x < 0.5

can you show the f(0.5) on that picture?

Would that be all the angles whose sin equal less than .5? In which case, f assigns to x all the values whose sin equal less than x?

Therefore; A (in the problem statement) cannot be -1 or less because there are no real values whose sin equal less than -1. Is that right?

But in the answers to the original problem, there are two sets A that would meet those requirements. (iii) and (v).

V0ODO0CH1LD said:
Would that be all the angles whose sin equal less than .5? In which case, f assigns to x all the values whose sin equal less than x?

Pretty much. More correct way to think about it is that f assigns to each x a subset of R, therefore f(x) is equal to a single element of P(R).

The important concept here is that set can be taken as element of other set.
V0ODO0CH1LD said:
Therefore; A (in the problem statement) cannot be -1 or less because there are no real values whose sin equal less than -1. Is that right?

But in the answers to the original problem, there are two sets A that would meet those requirements. (iii) and (v).

Exactly. To decide between 3 and 5, notice the strict inequality in definition of f. What set is f(1)?

Alesak said:
Exactly. To decide between 3 and 5, notice the strict inequality in definition of f. What set is f(1)?

All numerical values whose sin is less than 1. But I think both 3 and 5 are satisfactory definitions of A. Because A is such that all x's in it satisfy the condition that f(x) = R. In other words it is not necessary for A to include all values of x such that f(x) = R.

Or is that weird looking equal sign in f(x) = R different from f(x) ##\in ## R in which case I can select only one answer. Or did I not get it yet?

Alesak said:
What happens when you take power set of some set is that each subset is taken as element of P(S), where S is arbitrary set. For example, power set of S = {1, 2, 3} is {{1}, {2}, {3}, {1, 3}, {2, 3}, {1, 2, 3}}.

I'm a bit late to the thread and it doesn't really affect the point you are making, but you are missing two elements of S: {1, 2} and { }. You need 8 elements.:uhh:

V0ODO0CH1LD said:
Or is that weird looking equal sign in f(x) = R different from f(x) ##\in ## R in which case I can select only one answer. Or did I not get it yet?

Correct way to write it is f(x) ##\in ## P(R). If you think about it a little bit more, you will surely understand it very clearly. Read article on wikipedia about power sets, if you need.

V0ODO0CH1LD said:
All numerical values whose sin is less than 1. But I think both 3 and 5 are satisfactory definitions of A. Because A is such that all x's in it satisfy the condition that f(x) = R. In other words it is not necessary for A to include all values of x such that f(x) = R.

You almost got it;)

The answer lies in the expression

If it was f(x) = {y ∈ R; sin y <= x}, both 3 and 5 would be valid.

If you have {y ∈ R; sin y < 1}, does it include pi\2?

LCKurtz said:
I'm a bit late to the thread and it doesn't really affect the point you are making, but you are missing two elements of S: {1, 2} and { }. You need 8 elements.:uhh:

You are right, a mistake.

Alesak said:
Correct way to write it is f(x) ##\in ## P(R). If you think about it a little bit more, you will surely understand it very clearly. Read article on wikipedia about power sets, if you need.

You almost got it;)

The answer lies in the expression

If it was f(x) = {y ∈ R; sin y <= x}, both 3 and 5 would be valid.

If you have {y ∈ R; sin y < 1}, does it include pi\2?

Okay, first a couple questions:

Did you mean that f(x) = R is the same as f(x) ##\in ## P(R)? Is that because f(x) = R implies that f(x) is equal to the set of real numbers and all the subsets within it? I don't quite get why the notation f(x) = R implies f(x) ##\in ## P(R).

Does A = [a, ∞) for every a > 1; mean that A contains all values for x that such that 1 < x < ∞ in a more complicated way?

And finally; do you mean that if I select the A where 1 ≤ x < ∞ that would allow x to equal 1. And since "sin y < x" there would be a value of x (1) that would not include the value pi/2 for y and therefore not include all real values that y can take on?

If that is the case, than what is confusing me is that the problem says that f(x) has to only take real values for all x in A. Not that f(x) must take all real values that sin y can take for every x in A. Or is that wrong because I still don't get the f(x) = R?

V0ODO0CH1LD said:
Okay, first a couple questions:

Did you mean that f(x) = R is the same as f(x) ##\in ## P(R)? Is that because f(x) = R implies that f(x) is equal to the set of real numbers and all the subsets within it? I don't quite get why the notation f(x) = R implies f(x) ##\in ## P(R).

It got a bit messy, so let me explain. When you write f(x) ##\in ## R, it means f(x) is real number, i.e. the output from the function is a number. But when you write f(x) ##\in ## P(R), it means f(x) takes values in P(x), meaning output of f is element of P(R), meaning output of f is a subset of R.

Keep in mind that R is an element of P(R), since R is subset of R. So f(x) = R means merely that f(x) point to specific element of P(R) which in this case happens to be R. We could write for example f(x) = (0,1) or f(x) = {10, 12} for other cases, as all these are subsets of R.

V0ODO0CH1LD said:
Does A = [a, ∞) for every a > 1; mean that A contains all values for x that such that 1 < x < ∞ in a more complicated way?

And finally; do you mean that if I select the A where 1 ≤ x < ∞ that would allow x to equal 1. And since "sin y < x" there would be a value of x (1) that would not include the value pi/2 for y and therefore not include all real values that y can take on?

If that is the case, than what is confusing me is that the problem says that f(x) has to only take real values for all x in A. Not that f(x) must take all real values that sin y can take for every x in A. Or is that wrong because I still don't get the f(x) = R?

The assignment is needlesly confused with set A. It could have read:

f(c) = {x ∈ R; sin x < c}.

Find all c such that f(c) = R.

I have relabeled it a bit since x is usualy horizontal axis. Try to solve this problem. It is really helpful here to make a nice picture, similar to one I posted in mathematica. From this, you will see that c needs to be larger than 1.

Then you will see which A is right.

AH! f(c) = R specifies that f(c) must equal the set of all real numbers. Which is a valid statement because f is a function such that f:R → P(R) and P(R) includes the set of all real numbers; right?

Now, f(c) = R is a condition on c. So c must be such that all values of f(c) equal the set of all real numbers. And if c = 1 then f(c) could never equal the values of x for which sin x = 1 which are real numbers and therefore f(c) could never equal the set of all real numbers.

So the answer is 3? Also; does A = [a, ∞) for every a > 1 mean A = (a, ∞)?

What is a problem statement?

A problem statement is a concise description of the issue or challenge that a researcher or scientist is trying to address. It outlines the problem, its significance, and the proposed solution.

Why is it important to understand the problem statement?

Understanding the problem statement is crucial because it provides direction and focus for the research. It helps to define the scope of the study and ensures that the research is relevant and meaningful.

What are the key components of a problem statement?

A problem statement typically includes the description of the problem, its significance, the current state of knowledge about the problem, and the proposed solution or research objectives.

How do you develop a problem statement?

Developing a problem statement involves identifying a problem or issue that needs to be addressed, conducting research to understand the problem, and then clearly and concisely articulating the problem in a statement that can guide the research process.

Can a problem statement change during the research process?

Yes, a problem statement can change during the research process as new information is discovered or as the researcher's understanding of the problem evolves. However, it is important to ensure that any changes to the problem statement are justified and do not stray too far from the original research objectives.