Calculating Frequency of Harmonic Motion for Two Masses Connected by a Spring

In summary, two masses with masses 100g and 200g are connected by a spring with a force constant of 0.5 N/m, sliding freely on a horizontal frictionless track. The frequency of oscillatory motion can be found using the equation omega = sqrt (k/m). The problem involves a side-by-side geometry with two masses connected by a single spring. The center of mass of the system moves at a constant speed, allowing for each mass to oscillate with respect to it.
don_anon25
Two masses m1=100g and m2=200g slide freely in a horizontal frictionless track and are connected by a spring whoser force constant is k=.5 N/m. Find the frequency of oscillatory motion for this system.

Could someone give me a hint/help me get started on this? What equation(s) should I use? I know omega = sqrt (k/m).

I haven't done any problems like this since introductory physics 3+ years ago, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
what's the geometry of the problem? are the two masses connected side by side? or what?

The two masses are side-by-side with a spring connecting them...

Ok so there's a spring that goes to mass 1, then there's a spring that goes to mass 2?

Two masses connected by a single spring
m1 --------m2

I hope this helps to make the geometry clear.
I need help with this urgently :)

Here's a hint: The center of mass of the system moves at a constant speed, since there is no external force on the system. So you can think of each mass oscillating (on its own shorter spring) with respect to that center of mass.

1. What is harmonic motion?

Harmonic motion refers to the repetitive back-and-forth movement of an object around a central equilibrium point. It is characterized by a sinusoidal or wave-like motion.

2. What are the factors that affect harmonic motion?

The factors that affect harmonic motion include the mass of the object, the force applied to the object, and the stiffness of the system.

3. How is harmonic motion measured?

Harmonic motion can be measured using various parameters such as amplitude, frequency, and period. Amplitude refers to the maximum displacement of the object from its equilibrium point, frequency is the number of cycles per second, and period is the time it takes for one complete cycle.

4. What is the difference between simple harmonic motion and damped harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is an idealized form of harmonic motion where there is no external force acting on the system. Damped harmonic motion, on the other hand, involves the presence of a damping force that gradually decreases the amplitude of the oscillation over time.

5. How is harmonic motion used in real-life applications?

Harmonic motion is used in various real-life applications such as pendulum clocks, musical instruments, and even car suspensions. It is also used in the study of sound and vibration, as well as in the development of energy harvesting devices.