Harmonic Motion Lecture: Deriving Equations

In summary: It is not the first time I have seen somebody try to do this).In summary, the conversation was about a lecture on harmonic motion and the derivation of an equation for pendulum motion with an extended object. The equation is a form of simple harmonic motion, but the inclusion of a term involving ωi/Ω suggests it may be attempting to account for the non-linearity of the restoring force. The purpose and validity of this term were questioned and further explanation was requested.
tonykoh1116
I had a lecture regarding harmonic motion.
he also derived equation related to pendulum motion with extended object and equation is following.(motion is a simple harmonic motion)
d^2θ/dt^2+(RcmMg)θ/I=0

θ(t) = θcos(Ωt)+(ω/Ω)sin(Ωt) where Ω is defined angular frequency oscillation for all types of pendulums and ω is defined angular frequency for all linear motion such as mass and spring system.

I don't get how he derived ω(initial)/Ω...
can anyone explain to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Have you found the general solution to:$$\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}+\frac{MgR_{cm}}{I} \theta = 0$$...in a form that does not have that ##\frac{\omega_{i}}{\Omega}## in it?

But that does not look like SHM to me.
In SHM - the frequency does not change.

are you talking about

[itex]\vartheta[/itex](t)=Acos([itex]\omega[/itex]t+[itex]\phi[/itex])?

I don't know - was I?
That would be SHM all right.

You wanted to know about: θ(t) = θ cos(Ωt)+(ω/Ω)sin(Ωt)
Looking at it properly I see that the the equation seems to be saying:$$\theta(t)=\frac{\frac{\omega}{\Omega}\sin(\Omega t)}{1-\cos(\Omega t)}$$... which is nothing like SHM right?

What was it attempting to model? That equation of motion and boundary conditions must have come from somewhere. We need to know what the ωi term is supposed to represent. Is it an attempt to take into account the non-linearity of the restoring force in a pendulum (the frequency is amplitude dependent and, hence it is time dependent if it is decaying, for instance)

1. What is harmonic motion?

Harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object moves back and forth around a central equilibrium point. It can be described by a sine or cosine curve.

2. How are equations for harmonic motion derived?

The equations for harmonic motion are derived using principles of calculus and Newton's laws of motion. The differential equation for simple harmonic motion is solved to obtain the equations for position, velocity, and acceleration.

3. What are the equations for harmonic motion?

The equations for harmonic motion are x = A cos(ωt), v = -Aω sin(ωt), and a = -Aω^2 cos(ωt), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, t is time, and cos and sin represent the cosine and sine functions, respectively.

4. What is the relationship between the period and frequency of harmonic motion?

The period of harmonic motion is the time it takes for one complete cycle of motion, while the frequency is the number of cycles per unit time. The relationship between them is T = 1/f, where T is the period and f is the frequency.

5. Can the equations for harmonic motion be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the equations for harmonic motion can be applied to many real-life situations such as the motion of a pendulum, a mass on a spring, or a vibrating guitar string. They can also be used to model waves and other types of periodic motion.