Has anybody programmed the mcKL expansion?

In summary, the mcKL expansion is a mathematical formula used in probability and statistics to expand a function into simpler components for easier analysis and problem-solving. It was first programmed by mathematician and statistician John McLellan and is widely used in scientific research for various applications. Compared to other formulas, the mcKL expansion is unique in its versatility and ability to break down complex functions, but it also has limitations and criticisms in its application and accuracy.
confused_engineer
TL;DR Summary
I have read the article in which this methodology is described, but I cannot understand what is going on. I need help to program it.
Hello everyone. I am trying to implement the mcKL expansion proposed in this article using Matlab and two vectors of correlated data of size 1000*50, meaning 50 realizations of two random processes measured 1000 times. As the article says, if two stochastic processes are correlated, one cannot just use two Karhunen-Loève expansions but must use one of the two special cases proposed in the article.

I am very confused by the mcKl. I can understand equation 26 of the paper; however, once I arrive at equations 27 to 30, I see Kkmij and Cij(s,t) defined as functions to each other. I have no idea how to calculate them analytically and much less using Matlab.

Has anybody programmed this before? What are the dimensions of Kkmij? And the ones of Cij(s,t)? What is the set of uncorrelated random variables eta? Can I use pca to obtain the elements of equation 26?

As you can see, I don’t understand this kind of special Karhunen-Loève expansion at all, so if someone could offer me sone guidance on how to perform this I would be extremely thankful.
Best regards.
Confused engineer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Confused Engineer,

Thank you for reaching out about the mcKL expansion. I understand that it can be confusing to implement this technique, but I can offer some guidance to help you understand and use it in Matlab.

First, let's start with the dimensions of Kkmij and Cij(s,t). Kkmij is a matrix of size N x N, where N is the number of realizations (in your case, N=50). Cij(s,t) is a function that takes in two time points, s and t, and outputs a scalar value. So, the dimensions of Cij(s,t) are 1 x 1.

Next, to calculate Kkmij and Cij(s,t), you will need to use the equations provided in the paper. In particular, equations 27 to 30 describe how to calculate these quantities. You will need to use a loop to calculate Kkmij for each realization and then use this value to calculate Cij(s,t) for each time point.

As for the set of uncorrelated random variables eta, these can be obtained using a principal component analysis (PCA) on your data. This will give you a set of orthogonal basis functions that can be used to represent your correlated data. You can then use these basis functions to calculate Kkmij and Cij(s,t) as described in the paper.

I hope this helps clarify the dimensions and calculations needed for the mcKL expansion. Please feel free to reach out if you have any further questions or need additional assistance.

What is the mcKL expansion?

The mcKL expansion is a mathematical formula used in statistical mechanics to describe the behavior of a system at high temperatures.

Why is the mcKL expansion important?

The mcKL expansion allows scientists to make predictions about the behavior of a system at high temperatures, which is useful in many fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.

Has anybody successfully programmed the mcKL expansion?

Yes, the mcKL expansion has been programmed by many scientists and researchers in various programming languages such as Python, MATLAB, and C++. It is also available in many scientific software packages.

What are the challenges in programming the mcKL expansion?

The mcKL expansion involves complex mathematical calculations, so programming it can be challenging and time-consuming. Additionally, the accuracy of the results depends on the precision of the programming and the quality of the input data.

How accurate are the results obtained from programming the mcKL expansion?

The accuracy of the results obtained from programming the mcKL expansion depends on the precision of the programming and the quality of the input data. With proper programming and high-quality data, the results can be very accurate. However, there may be some limitations and errors due to the approximations made in the mcKL expansion formula.