Has anyone seen 'Planet Earth'?

• Thread starter Snazzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth
In summary, Planet Earth is a 2006 nature documentary series by the BBC consisting of 11 episodes. My girlfriend sent it from Edinburgh as a present and I want to know how it is before I actually start watching it. The recordings are awesome. I'd definitely recommend it to a friend.
Snazzy
It's a 2006 nature documentary series by the BBC consisting of 11 episodes. My girlfriend sent it from Edinburgh as a present and I want to know how it is before I actually start watching it.

(Sorry, didn't know where this thread belonged, exactly).

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I have.

Planet Earth is basically Blue Planet (if you seen that on BBC).

The recordings are awesome. I'd definitely recommend it to a friend (if they like that stuff).

It is very,very, VERY good.
If you like nature documentaries you'll really enjoy it.
I do not normally enjoy watching nature shows but "Planet Earth" was amazing.

Blue Planet is a separate documentry series (though I think some footage may have been shared, I've only watched Blue Planet once though, and it was a long time ago, so I don't know for sure). Both were made by the BBC however.

It is excellent, and there is some really incredible footage in it. You won't be dissappointed.

Oh, I've seen Blue Planet a long time ago. I was around 12 years old I think, still living in Scotland, and I turned on the tele and caught a glimpse of it on BBC One.

Thanks for the feedback.

It looks good in HD.

waht said:
It looks good in HD.

X2. I have a few of the HD broadcasts saved on my computer. It really is an awe-inspiring program. I wish more people could have the opportunity to watch it in it's entirety.

Snazzy said:
It's a 2006 nature documentary series by the BBC consisting of 11 episodes. My girlfriend sent it from Edinburgh as a present and I want to know how it is before I actually start watching it.

(Sorry, didn't know where this thread belonged, exactly).

If that is the same series that I'm remembering, it was very good overall, with an incredible episode about the Oceans (or maybe it was more general than that, but still mainly about the oceans and water). Especially if you are a diver or otherwise close to the ocean, that episode was very emotional and amazing. I still remember talking to some friends the next day (maybe more divers?), and they were similarly impressed and emphatic about the episode.

I don't know whether to tell you to start with that one, or finish with it. Maybe do both!

Planet Earth is a recent documentary series from the BBC.

Amazing footage of Nature at its best, and the voice of David Attenborough. What else do you need?

(Check out the part where the snow leopard chases a mountain goat down a near-vertical cliff face. I think it's in Mountains episode.)

David Attenborough is the king of nature documentaries, if you look at his career is there a documentary on nature he's done that is bad or even average? 'Nuff said.

Schrodinger's Dog said:
David Attenborough is the king of nature documentaries, if you look at his career is there a documentary on nature he's done that is bad or even average? 'Nuff said.

Well, he was involved in a Creationists' documentary.
http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2007/08/07/evil-creationism-is-not-just-in-the-us/
:wink:

neutrino said:
Well, he was involved in a Creationists' documentary.
http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2007/08/07/evil-creationism-is-not-just-in-the-us/
:wink:

:biggrin:

I can imagine the look of barely concealed disdain David Attenborough would give a creationist. :biggrin: He may not be a trained scientist but I think he's got more credibility in a single cell on his left hand than a creationist will ever have in their lifetimes.

Last edited:
Good point. :biggrin:

I just finished watching the first episode and, my God, this series is great. That just means I have to get my girlfriend something even better than this.

msy5pj.jpg

Simply an amazing scene.

He works with the best. It's kind of like how the best musicians always seem to end up together.

Apparently David Attenborough did a masters in anthropology at LSE after studying zoology and obtaining a degree in Natural science at Cambridge. So I suppose technically he's qualified enough to be a scientist.

Last edited:
Is David Attenborough the same bloke from Jurassic Park? Or was that someone different...

Snazzy said:
Is David Attenborough the same bloke from Jurassic Park? Or was that someone different...

No that's his brother Richard Attenborough, definitely a family resemblance though.

Snazzy said:
Simply an amazing scene.

The Discovery Channel did a documentary on those "flying" Great Whites of South Africa. It's called Air Jaws.

I can't remember if it was Planet Earth or Blue Planet, but one of them had a show about deep deep ocean creatures. Damn they are scary looking.

That would be blue planet, though I think they mention them in planet Earth as well.

Bollocks, this series has made me depressed ever since watching the episode with the polar bears. So we destroy his home, force him to hunt walruses, and watch him get stabbed by tusks and dig himself a grave and die while the sun casts its final shadow on him as he takes his last breaths. Depressing.

way to spoil the ending snazzy :biggrin:

I haven't watched it, but am downloading it as we speak!

1. What is "Planet Earth"?

"Planet Earth" is a documentary series produced by the BBC that explores the natural wonders of our planet and its diverse ecosystems.

2. When was "Planet Earth" first released?

The first episode of "Planet Earth" premiered on March 5, 2006, and the entire series was released on DVD on April 24, 2007.

3. How many episodes are there in "Planet Earth"?

There are 11 episodes in "Planet Earth", with each episode focusing on a different aspect of our planet's natural beauty and wildlife.

4. Has "Planet Earth" won any awards?

Yes, "Planet Earth" has won numerous awards, including 4 Primetime Emmy Awards and 2 BAFTA Television Awards.

5. Is "Planet Earth" still relevant today?

Yes, "Planet Earth" is still relevant today as it continues to educate and inspire viewers about the importance of preserving our planet's natural beauty and biodiversity.