1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hatfield's Book

1. Apr 16, 2005 #1

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I accidentally came accross this title:"The Quantum Field Theory of Point Particles and Strings",by some guy Hatfield.

Anyone care to give me a reccomandation,a comment,before i jump and spend some money...?

Daniel.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2005 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It is a fine introduction to field theory for people who are sophisticated about mathematical methods but untrained in physical specifics. It spends oodles of time motivating such things as Fadeev-Popov quantization of gauge theory and leading you through it. Most readers have found the section on string theory too limited. As a kind of primer, it is sort of orthogonal to that other primer, Zee's text. They address different students with different needs.

I was high on it and derived a lot of benefit from it, but I moved on afterward to more standard texts, notably Peskin & Schroeder.

4. Apr 17, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So you're saying it's more mathematical and less inclined towards applications than Peskin & Schroeder (maybe Itzykson & Zuber,too) and goes along with Zee's text.

Okay,thank you.Excellent,then.I hate when maths is sloppily presented.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?