Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hatfield's Book

1. Apr 16, 2005 #1

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I accidentally came accross this title:"The Quantum Field Theory of Point Particles and Strings",by some guy Hatfield.

Anyone care to give me a reccomandation,a comment,before i jump and spend some money...?

Daniel.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2005 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It is a fine introduction to field theory for people who are sophisticated about mathematical methods but untrained in physical specifics. It spends oodles of time motivating such things as Fadeev-Popov quantization of gauge theory and leading you through it. Most readers have found the section on string theory too limited. As a kind of primer, it is sort of orthogonal to that other primer, Zee's text. They address different students with different needs.

I was high on it and derived a lot of benefit from it, but I moved on afterward to more standard texts, notably Peskin & Schroeder.

4. Apr 17, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So you're saying it's more mathematical and less inclined towards applications than Peskin & Schroeder (maybe Itzykson & Zuber,too) and goes along with Zee's text.

Okay,thank you.Excellent,then.I hate when maths is sloppily presented.

Daniel.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook