Have you heard of using wedges in calculus to approach integration differently?

• B
  • Thread starter jerromyjon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation revolved around a person who had an idea related to calculus but was unsure if it had been explored before. They mentioned using wedge shapes to find the area under a curve and were looking for any similar techniques or methods. Another person suggested understanding the technique of using rectangles first and mentioned other methods such as polar integrals. The first person also mentioned counting pixels and trying origami to solve the problem. It was ultimately suggested to use existing methods and not overthink the problem.
jerromyjon
I can't seem to find anything about what I am thinking about but it has to do with a possibly unique idea I am just wondering if any has ever heard of any such "variation" of calculus. I'm certainly not fluent with even basic calculus, but I can model the "area under a curve" and the aspect that doesn't fit is the x/y grid. What I am considering is way to complex for me to grasp its implications, but the basic idea is to flip the problem around to a set of identical wedges which puts the chord of the curve as the "width" of the wedges. I haven't gotten any further than that and it is a very shaky hypothetical idea I'm just looking to see if anyone knows anything that sounds similar?

Physics news on Phys.org
jerromyjon said:
I can model the "area under a curve" and the aspect that doesn't fit is the x/y grid.
Are you saying that you don't understand how you can calculate the area under a curve using rectangles?

If that's what you meant, I would advise getting an understanding of that technique before attempting to find the area using wedge shapes. A rectangle has a very simple area: width x length. Do you know a corresponding formula for the area of a wedge?

Another form of integration (polar integrals) uses a different shape entirely.

Likes jerromyjon
Mark44 said:
Are you saying that you don't understand how you can calculate the area under a curve using rectangles?
I've been sitting here counting pixels trying to find any patterns in progressively larger curves or figure out what to try next.
Mark44 said:
Ah, polar integrals sounds promising, I'll have to check that out when I have time. Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
jerromyjon said:
I've been sitting here counting pixels trying to find any patterns in progressively larger curves or figure out what to try next.
You quoted what I asked, but didn't answer my question. What does counting pixels have to do with integration?

Mark44 said:
What does counting pixels have to do with integration?
Different methods to get the same results. I've also been doing some origami of sorts...

Mark44 said:
This is exactly what I was trying to figure out in a bass ackwards kind of way. :mad: Thanks again! :cool:

Mark44 said:
What does counting pixels have to do with integration?
I don't do the math, I make my computer do it exactly how I think it, to accomplish the results I intend. I try, not to think, harder than I have to. :smile:

Last edited:

Related to Have you heard of using wedges in calculus to approach integration differently?

1. What is "Calculus with Wedges"?

"Calculus with Wedges" is a mathematical concept that involves using integrals to find the volume of a solid object that is formed by two or more curved surfaces. It is an extension of traditional calculus that incorporates three-dimensional shapes.

2. How is "Calculus with Wedges" different from traditional calculus?

The main difference between "Calculus with Wedges" and traditional calculus is that it deals with three-dimensional objects instead of just two-dimensional ones. This means that it requires a deeper understanding of integrals and their applications in finding volume.

3. What are some real-life applications of "Calculus with Wedges"?

"Calculus with Wedges" has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture. It can be used to calculate the volume of irregularly shaped objects, such as buildings, bridges, and even natural structures like mountains or rivers.

4. What are some key concepts to understand in "Calculus with Wedges"?

Some important concepts in "Calculus with Wedges" include integrals, cross-sectional areas, and the method of slicing. It is also essential to have a strong understanding of basic calculus principles, such as derivatives and antiderivatives.

5. How can I improve my skills in "Calculus with Wedges"?

To improve your skills in "Calculus with Wedges," it is important to practice solving various problems and familiarize yourself with different types of three-dimensional shapes. You can also seek out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, to gain a deeper understanding of the concepts and techniques involved.