Having 12V (cig. lighter) power supply on Suzuki GN125H

In summary, Nishant is considering installing a power supply for a dash cam on his Suzuki GN125H motorcycle and is concerned about the effect on his battery and lights. He has received advice to tap into a switched circuit on the bike's fusebox, but has also been warned about the possibility of the motorcycle's alternator not being able to support additional accessories. He is also considering using a GoPro camera instead, but ultimately wants to install a dual cam DVR and needs a power socket for it.
Nish6242
Hello Guys

My baby is a Suzuki GN125H (Bought in year 2013).

I have been pondering for a while to have some kind of dash cam installed on her. Thus I thought to have a power supply installed so as to get power for the dash cam (only to be used when the motorcycle is ON and running).

My concern

1. Will my motorcycle battery be seriously affected by this installation ?
    I mean , there is NO kick start in this model of bikes so I do not want my battery to drain down by some 3 4 days use of the camera, as I actually am planning this system for an everyday use.
  2. I do not want my lights to be affected by this installation.
    Here I mean that I do not want the bulbs to start fusing up and so on occasionally.
Best suggestions and advices for this task are most welcome guys.

Thanks,
Nishant R.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi, Nish.
There should be no problem with just tapping into the fusebox on one of your switched circuits, as long as the bike is on a 12V system.
If your question regards rigging a 12V tap into a 6V system, I don't know anything about that.

Likes Nish6242
Danger said:
Hi, Nish.
There should be no problem with just tapping into the fusebox on one of your switched circuits, as long as the bike is on a 12V system.
If your question regards rigging a 12V tap into a 6V system, I don't know anything about that.

Thanks for this response mate.

I will try this out and let you know the outcome.

Cheers.

Glad that you liked it. I probably don't need to point out, but will anyhow, that you should tap the cold side of the fuse, so it protects your camera circuit as well as the original one.

The fuse will not protect the camera at all! All of the fuses on a motorbike will be far too large to offer any protection to a camera.
You need some sort of voltage limiting/regulation unless the camera is designed to be connected directly to a 'dirty' power supply (Very dirty in the case of a motorbike - the voltage is not at all stable)

billy_joule said:
The fuse will not protect the camera at all! All of the fuses on a motorbike will be far too large to offer any protection to a camera.
You need some sort of voltage limiting/regulation unless the camera is designed to be connected directly to a 'dirty' power supply (Very dirty in the case of a motorbike - the voltage is not at all stable)
Dash cams are designed to be powered by a vehicular supply.

Nish6242 said:
Hello Guys

My baby is a Suzuki GN125H (Bought in year 2013).

I have been pondering for a while to have some kind of dash cam installed on her. Thus I thought to have a power supply installed so as to get power for the dash cam (only to be used when the motorcycle is ON and running).

My concern

1. Will my motorcycle battery be seriously affected by this installation ?
    I mean , there is NO kick start in this model of bikes so I do not want my battery to drain down by some 3 4 days use of the camera, as I actually am planning this system for an everyday use.
  2. I do not want my lights to be affected by this installation.
    Here I mean that I do not want the bulbs to start fusing up and so on occasionally.
Best suggestions and advices for this task are most welcome guys.

Thanks,
Nishant R.

Why not just use a GoPro camera instead? You take it off the bike and recharge it every night. Much simpler and safer solution... :-)

It seems many dash cams are battery powered too - Makes sense really, you need them to function most during a crash when it's very possible power is lost.

I'd recommend installing a cigarette lighter socket. I've put one on all my bikes. to keep my phone running on long trips when I use it for GPS, charge my mp3 player etc etc

berkeman said:
Why not just use a GoPro camera instead? You take it off the bike and recharge it every night. Much simpler and safer solution... :)

Hello mate ,
Indeed it is much simpler and I had considered the GoPro camera too.
In my country those are very dear but the cost is not my issue,
however I want and will be installing a DUAL CAM DVR which, will not hold long on its own battery only (as my everyday journey is quite long), this is the main reason why I want the power socket.

Cheers
Nishant R.

Nish6242 said:
Hello mate ,
Indeed it is much simpler and I had considered the GoPro camera too.
In my country those are very dear but the cost is not my issue,
however I want and will be installing a DUAL CAM DVR which, will not hold long on its own battery only, this is the main reason why I want the power socket.

Cheers
Nishant R.

Have you compared the input power requirements of your camera/DVR against the specs for your motorcycle's alternator? Many motorcycles (especially smaller displacement motorcycles) have alternators that are not sized to run any accessories...

berkeman said:
Have you compared the input power requirements of your camera/DVR against the specs for your motorcycle's alternator? Many motorcycles (especially smaller displacement motorcycles) have alternators that are not sized to run any accessories...

:eek:... Was not aware of this ... Will cross check the specs again before proceeding.

Thanks.

Nishant R.

My guess is that billy_joule rides a Goldwing or some big bike. I know that when I looked at adding heated hand grips to my commuter CBR600F4 many years ago, there was not enough excess alternator output to run them. Sometimes installing a larger aftermarket alternator is an option, if there is physical room in your cases

The biggest bike I owned was a 250. My phone charger is 10W max, I'd never charge from flat so more like 2-5W.
The headlight would dim more when I used the brake than when I plugged in the phone, neither was noticeable while riding.

But still, definitely check the specs before going ahead.

They make 250 Goldwings? :-)

I wish. Twas a GSF250 Bandit. Fine bike, sounded great at 16k rpm

I added a USB convert in the overhead console for GPS and Dash-Cam, No more wires coming up from the lighter socket!
Here's the unit from Amazon: RioRand(TM) DC to DC Converter Inverter 12V to 5V 3A 15W Power Supply
Then added USB > USB Mini adaptor cables that plug into the units. Maybe this would work

1. How can I use the 12V power supply on my Suzuki GN125H?

The 12V power supply on your Suzuki GN125H can be used to charge electronic devices or power other accessories such as GPS units or phone chargers. Simply plug the device into the power outlet and turn on the ignition to use the power supply.

2. Can I use the 12V power supply while the motorcycle is turned off?

No, the 12V power supply on the Suzuki GN125H is only functional when the ignition is turned on. This is to prevent draining the battery while the motorcycle is not in use.

3. What is the maximum amperage that the 12V power supply can handle?

The 12V power supply on the Suzuki GN125H can handle up to 10 amps. It is recommended to check the amperage requirements of your electronic device before plugging it in to avoid overloading the power supply.

4. Can I install a higher voltage power supply on my Suzuki GN125H?

No, it is not recommended to install a higher voltage power supply on your Suzuki GN125H. The motorcycle's electrical system is designed to handle 12V and using a higher voltage power supply can cause damage to the system.

5. How do I maintain the 12V power supply on my Suzuki GN125H?

To maintain the 12V power supply, make sure to keep it clean and free of any debris. Also, regularly check the connections to ensure they are tight and secure. If you notice any issues with the power supply, it is recommended to have it checked by a professional mechanic.