Having a hard time studying maths atm

In summary: You can try a practice problem from your textbook before attempting the real thing. This will help you to mastery the material.In summary, if you are having trouble with math, try to simplify it and focus on the basics. Then read the material multiple times and try to understand it better.
nmego12345
I'm having trouble processing math atm, I'm a perfectionist so each time I delve into a topic on my "self-study" I try to understand all of it. but that generally takes too long a time to focus on other "important" math stuff that actually matters right then

like studying some trig stuff and trying to memorize, understand and prove all the trig identites on the wikipedia page. not to mention that delving relatively deep into some stuff and leaving them for like a month or so to focus on other stuff makes me kinda forget all I've studied once I returned to it 1 month later so I study it again, wasting more time.

Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't told us which level of mathematics we are talking about, except trigonometry. Trigonometry is full of formulas, and only a few dozen should come automatically to mind: definition of ##\sin \, , \,\cos\, , \,\tan\, , \,\cot##, maybe the addition theorems and antiderivatives, Pythagoras, Thales, some areas and volumes. The rest can be looked up whenever needed.

To understand all of them, it only needs a circle and a right triangular. The rest are more or less deductions from them.

This is what I would do as a general strategy: read over it and try to understand what the goal is and maybe think about yourself how it could be achieved. Only then start reading it in detail. This way you can see what the details actually are good for. You do not have to memorize how Pythagoras or Thales are proven, but their content.

nmego12345 said:
I'm having trouble processing math atm, I'm a perfectionist so each time I delve into a topic on my "self-study" I try to understand all of it. but that generally takes too long a time to focus on other "important" math stuff that actually matters right then

like studying some trig stuff and trying to memorize, understand and prove all the trig identites on the wikipedia page. not to mention that delving relatively deep into some stuff and leaving them for like a month or so to focus on other stuff makes me kinda forget all I've studied once I returned to it 1 month later so I study it again, wasting more time.
Too much "stuff". I like fresh_42's comments.

Use wikipedia just as an occasionally convenient reference. Use your assigned textbook and maybe one or two other's (for Trigonometry) that you like. Learn and understand the basic fundamentals, including the use of the Unit Circle. When you read the textbook, you want to read each section two times, while THINKING, and then reread any parts of the section additional times to try to understand better or cut-down some of (but not all of ) the confusion.
...There is more, but not saying right now.

If you are studying Trigonometry on your own not enrolled in a course, then use some actual syllabus and keep a regular study schedule. You must include regular section exercise problems.

1. Why do I find it difficult to study math?

There could be several reasons for finding math difficult. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the concepts, not enough practice, or a fear of numbers. It is important to identify the root cause and address it accordingly.

2. How can I improve my math studying skills?

To improve your math studying skills, it is important to have a structured study plan, practice regularly, seek help from a tutor or teacher, and use different learning techniques such as visual aids, mnemonic devices, or group study sessions.

3. What are some effective study strategies for math?

Some effective study strategies for math include breaking down complex problems into smaller parts, practicing regularly, reviewing material frequently, and seeking help when needed. It is also helpful to make connections between different math concepts to better understand them.

4. How can I overcome my fear of math?

Fear of math is a common issue, but it can be overcome by changing your mindset and attitude towards the subject. Instead of viewing math as a difficult and intimidating subject, try to approach it with a positive attitude and focus on the progress you are making.

5. What resources are available to help me with studying math?

There are many resources available to help with studying math, such as textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. You can also seek help from a tutor or teacher, or utilize educational apps and websites specifically designed for learning math.