Proving the Non-negativity Property of a Diffusion Equation Solution

• Thread starter modeiry88
  • Start date
In summary, for the given problem, we are trying to show that the integral of (u(x,T))^2 over the domain [0,1] is less than or equal to the integral of (f(x))^2 over the same domain. To do this, we can use the given identity and substitute in the diffusion equation. By simplifying and integrating over the domain, we can show that the time derivative of (u(x,T))^2 is always less than or equal to zero, thus proving the desired inequality.
modeiry88

Homework Statement

Let u(x,t) satisfy

Homework Equations

([tex]\partial[/tex]u/[tex]\partial[/tex]t) = ([tex]\partial[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]u/[tex]\partial[/tex]x[tex]^{2}[/tex])...(0<x<1,t>0)

u(0,t)=u(1,t)=0...(t[tex]\geq[/tex]0)

u(x,0)=f(x)...(o[tex]\leq[/tex]x[tex]\leq[/tex]1),

where f[tex]\in[/tex]C[0.1] show that for any T[tex]\geq[/tex]0

[tex]\int[/tex] from 0..1 (u(x,T))[tex]^{2}[/tex]dx [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex] from 0..1 (f(x))[tex]^{2}[/tex]dx

The Attempt at a Solution

not sure

Physics news on Phys.org
That's 3 posts and no work shown on anyone of them. You *must* show an attempt at a solution, or we cannot be of help to you. Please click on the "Rules" link at the top of the page.

im sorry, I am obviously knew to this forum...

For this problem, I am trying to use the identity as follows

2u(([tex]\partial[/tex]u/[tex]\partial[/tex]t)-([tex]\partial[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]u/[tex]\partial[/tex]x[tex]^{2}[/tex])) = ([tex]\partial[/tex]u[tex]^{2}[/tex]/[tex]\partial[/tex]t)-([tex]\partial[/tex]/[tex]\partial[/tex]x)*(u*([tex]\partial[/tex]u/[tex]\partial[/tex]x))+2*([tex]\partial[/tex]u/[tex]\partial[/tex]x)[tex]^{2}[/tex]

It's a diffusion equation, so you might expect this sort of behavior. Your 'identity' is a little messed up. Can you fix it? Once you've done that substitute the PDE in. You should be able to show that ((u^2),t)/2-(u*(u,x)),x=(-(u,x)^2)<=0. I'm using commas for partial derivatives, forgive my laziness. Now integrate dx between 0 and 1. Can you show the (u*(u,x)),x term vanishes? Once you have integal (u^2),t<=0 you are home free.

Last edited:

FAQ: Proving the Non-negativity Property of a Diffusion Equation Solution

What are the common causes of having a lot of trouble?

There can be various reasons for facing a lot of trouble, including lack of knowledge or skills, poor decision-making, external factors such as financial or personal problems, and underlying mental health issues.

How can I overcome my troubles?

The solution to overcoming troubles depends on the specific situation, but some general tips include seeking help from others, breaking down the problem into smaller manageable steps, practicing self-care and stress-management techniques, and staying positive and persistent.

Is having a lot of trouble a sign of weakness?

Not at all. Everyone goes through difficult times and struggles, and it does not make you weak. It takes courage and strength to face and overcome your troubles. Seeking help is a sign of bravery, not weakness.

What are the long-term effects of having a lot of trouble?

The long-term effects of facing a lot of trouble can vary, but they can include increased stress, anxiety, and negative impacts on mental and physical health. It can also lead to a sense of helplessness and low self-esteem.

When should I seek professional help for my troubles?

If you feel overwhelmed and unable to cope with your troubles, it may be beneficial to seek professional help. Additionally, if your troubles significantly impact your daily life and relationships, or if you have underlying mental health issues, seeking help can provide valuable support and guidance.

Back