Having some trouble with this combinatorics problem

In summary, the problem discussed is about 6 friends who attend a party and each bring a different umbrella. After the party, they are drunk and randomly grab umbrellas, potentially not taking the one they brought. The conversation then shifts to solving the number of ways in which none of them could have taken the correct umbrella. Solutions are offered using a recurrence relation or an alternating sum. A link is also provided for further explanation.
Calabi_Yau
6 friends go to a party, each one carrying a different umbrella. They place the umbrellas outside. When the party is over, they are drunk and each one grabs an umbrella at random.
In how many ways could none of them have taken the right umbrella?

I'm having a bit trouble with this, as I can't seem to solve it without having to do some rough counting some times. Can any of you bother to solve this and explain it to me?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You are asking about the number of derangments Sn of a set with n elements. If you are looking for an exact answer, you can either use the recurrence relation Sn+1=n(Sn+Sn-1), or compute the alternating sum Ʃ(-1)in!/i! where i goes from 0 to n.

Thanks guys.

I can offer some insight into this combinatorics problem. First, we need to understand the concept of permutations and combinations. Permutations refer to the number of ways in which objects can be arranged in a specific order, while combinations refer to the number of ways in which objects can be selected without regard to order.

In this scenario, we are dealing with combinations, as the order in which the friends grab the umbrellas does not matter. We also need to consider that each friend can only grab one umbrella. Therefore, we are dealing with a combination without replacement.

To solve this problem, we can use the formula for combinations without replacement: nCr = n!/(r!(n-r)!), where n is the total number of objects (in this case, umbrellas) and r is the number of objects being selected (in this case, friends).

So, in this scenario, we have 6 friends (r) and 6 umbrellas (n). Therefore, the total number of ways in which they can grab the umbrellas is 6!/(6!(6-6)!) = 1. This means that there is only one way in which all 6 friends could have grabbed the wrong umbrellas.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the problem better. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects or events in a systematic way.

2. Why is combinatorics important?

Combinatorics is important because it helps us solve problems related to counting and arranging objects, which has applications in various fields such as computer science, statistics, and economics.

3. How do I approach a combinatorics problem?

To approach a combinatorics problem, it is important to understand the problem statement and identify the type of problem (permutations, combinations, etc.). Then, use the appropriate formula or approach to solve the problem.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in combinatorics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid in combinatorics problems include not understanding the problem correctly, misapplying formulas, and not considering all possible cases.

5. Can you provide an example of a combinatorics problem?

Yes, here is an example: How many different 5-letter words can be formed using the letters A, B, C, D, and E without repetition? The answer is 120, which can be calculated using the formula for permutations: nPr = n! / (n-r)! = 5! / (5-5)! = 5! / 0! = 5 * 4 * 3 * 2 * 1 = 120.