How Do You Solve This Tricky Limit Involving Cosine and x Squared?

• Thread starter yangxu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation is about solving the limit of x^2 * cos^2 (x^-2) as x approaches 0. The squeeze theorem is used, but there is confusion about using 1/x as part of the intervals representing -1 and 1. The group discusses the use of cos^2 (x^-2) and concludes that it is easier to use 0 ≤ cos^2 (θ) ≤ 1 for all θ. One member is grateful for the clarification.
yangxu
Hi all,

My girlfriend asked me this question just now, however I have no idea how I should approach to solve it, I highly appreciate if anyone could shed lights on this:

lim x^2 times cos^2(x^-2)
x->0

I tried using the squeeze theorem:

-1 < cos(1/x) < 1
thus:
-x^2 < x^2 (cos(1/x)) < x^2
or
-x^2 cos(1/x) < x^2 (cos^2(x^-2)) < x^2 cos(1/x)
Therefore, as x->0 in the middle, the two sides also approach 0.

But I don't think it makes any sense... since 1/x as x-> 0 cannot really be used as part of the intervals representing -1 and 1.

I also tried rearranging cos^2 (x^-2), but I don't think it's any use.

Please enlighten on this, thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
calc 1 or 2?

is your problem

[tex]x^2\cos^2({\frac{1}{x^2}})[/tex]

-1<cos(theta) <1 for any value of theta

so x^2 * cos (theta)->0 as x -> 0

What's wrong with that?

[itex]-1\le cos(\theta)\le 1[/itex] even when [itex]\theta= 1/x^2[/itex]! That's christianjb's point.

Thank you for your replies, guys.

rocophysics:
Yes, that's the correct output of the question. I haven't done calculus for a long time, but I believe it's calc 1.

christianjib & HallsofIvy:
But if it's cos^2 (x^-2), can you still apply the same rule?

Actually, in that case, it's easier: [itex]0\le cos^2(\theta)\le 1[/itex] for all [itex]\theta[/itex]!

HallsofIvy said:
Actually, in that case, it's easier: [itex]0\le cos^2(\theta)\le 1[/itex] for all [itex]\theta[/itex]!

Wow, never thought of that, thanks so much HallsofIvy. :D

Related to How Do You Solve This Tricky Limit Involving Cosine and x Squared?

What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics is a fundamental concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. In other words, it determines the value that a function approaches as the input gets closer and closer to a specific value.

Why is it important to find limits?

Finding limits is important because it helps us understand the behavior of functions and their values at certain points. It also allows us to solve more complex problems involving rates of change and continuity.

What are some common methods for finding limits?

Some common methods for finding limits include direct substitution, factoring and simplifying, using the limit laws, and applying special limits such as the sandwich theorem or L'Hopital's rule.

Can limits be used to determine the value of a function at a specific point?

No, limits cannot be used to determine the value of a function at a specific point. They only describe the behavior of the function as the input approaches a certain value, not the value of the function itself.

Why might someone have trouble finding a limit?

There are a few reasons why someone might have trouble finding a limit. These can include encountering indeterminate forms, not knowing the appropriate method to use, or making a mistake in the calculation. It is important to have a strong understanding of the concepts and methods involved in order to find limits accurately.