1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having trouble with differential equations and separation of variables

1. Apr 20, 2004 #1
    two problems in particular, one i got in calc, the other in physics

one asks if [tex] a = -v [/tex]
    and [tex]v = 1[/tex] when [tex] t = 0 [/tex]
    what is a possible position function for this equation

the other one is
    given [tex] a = 3x [/tex]
    and starting at rest from [tex]x = 0[/tex]
    find the velocity at 5 seconds

i cant seem to get the concept behind these, because the times we do them are so far and few between
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2004 #2
    For the first one:

since a = dv/dt = -v, you could solve it as a separable equation by writing it as
    dv/v = -dt
    and integrating both sides.

But you should really be able to do this one just by inspection.

Start off by thinking of a function that is equal to its own derivative & then think of how you can modify it to be equal to the negative of its derivative.

If you need more of a clue, look at the last item on this page:
    (I can't understand why chroot didn't like it; I loved it. :biggrin: )

Then give it a constant coefficient C and use the given boundary condition v(0) = 1 to find the value of C.
  4. Apr 21, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I started to do some complicated calculations on the second question when suddenly it hit me: the objects acceleration is proportional to x and x= 0??? And its initial speed is also 0?? What does that tell you?
  5. Apr 21, 2004 #4

the assumption is that it will accelerate...
  6. Apr 21, 2004 #5

yeah that one was really obvious now that i think about it, for some reason i kept getting stuck with the 2nd derrivative of x = the 1st derivative of x, and that notation ws getting me nowhere...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?