Heat, fire, pressure - things i don't understand

1. Hi all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong location, i'm new (and using that as an excuse :) )

i am currently working on a fantasy novel and having some issues that my days old knowledge of thermodynamics, and what-not, is nowhere near capable of managing.

So, to dive straight in; if we were to assume that you had access to a large amount of energy (potential or otherwise) and chose to use said energy by transferring it to a point in the air in front of you to generate a high temperature (thousands of degress) would a flame appear? Or, is a flame only generated when a secondary material is introduced, such as wood, carbon etc?

if you were to heat to a small part of the air in front of you quickly and highly enough would you create a shockwave which would 'push' things?

any help, knowledge or nudges in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. mgb_phys

mgb_phys 8,952
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Chegg
    You wouldn't create a flame - a flame needs fuel+oxygen+heat.
    You could create a plasma if you heated it enough - like a spherical glowing spark
    Enough heating can create a force, lightning creates a supersonic shock by heating air - that's the thunder you hear.

4. If some of the nitrogen were oxidized would there be a visible flame?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?