Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat integral and molar heat capacity?

1. Aug 24, 2011 #1
    dQ = nCvdT if volume is constant.
    However, n = pV/RT.
    What I don't understand is, why are we thinking n as constant when doing the integral?
    I had two problems that involved this on a test I had today. At first I kept it constant and then changed n. But then I thought, wait... isn't there a T in n? then that T should be in the integral.
    I understand the point, heat capacity per mole. But mathematically, the T that is in the equation for n should matter, right?
    dS = dQ / T, if we substitute dQ in that equation we should get 1 / T2 in the integral also.
    I know I'm wrong however, so if someone could tell me what's wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2011 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The equation dQ = nCvdT also assumes a closed system (i.e., constant n). Otherwise you could effect a temperature change by simply removing gas molecules at constant volume without heating or cooling the system, and this would violate the equation.

4. Aug 24, 2011 #3
    That's true... higher temperature with lower amount of moles doesn't sound right. When you say that it assumes a closed system, is that a result of the second law?
    Or do we always speak of closed systems when talking about heat capacity?

5. Aug 24, 2011 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's not a result of the second law. It's a typical assumption of the definition of heat capacity; that is, we mean

[tex]C_{V,N}=T\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_{V,N}[/tex]

but we generally just write [itex]C_V[/itex].

(In some esoteric circumstances, we want to work with systems at constant chemical potential rather than constant matter, but that's an advanced topic.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook