What is the heat released from the decay of 1 kg of 40K atoms?

In summary, the conversation discusses the decay of the radioisotope 40K and the mean heat released per decay. It is mentioned that 40K can decay through electron capture or beta decay, with a mean energy release of 1.33 MeV per decay. The number of 40K atoms in 1 kilogram is also given, and the total energy that could be released from the complete decay of 1 kg is calculated to be 3.2x10^12 Joules. The half-life of 40K is also provided, along with an equation to calculate the heat produced from the decay of 1 kg of 40K atoms. The conversation also discusses the discrepancy in values for the heat released, which
Hypatio
The radioisotope 40K decays either by electron capture (~10% of the time), releasing about 1.31 MeV, or by beta decay (90% of the time), releasing about 1.51 MeV. Thus the mean heat released is about 1.33 MeV per decay.

There are 1.5x10^25 40K atoms in 1 kilogram. Therefore the energy which could be released from complete decay of 1 kg is [tex]\phi[/tex]=3.2x10^12 Joules.

The half-life of 40K is T=1.277x10^9 years, or 4.027x10^16 sec.

Therefore, we can calculate the heat produced (W/kg) from the decay of 1 kg of 40K atoms as:

[tex]=\phi\exp(-tln(2)/T)\frac{ln(2)}{T}=\phi\frac{ln(2)}{T}[/tex]

I calculate 5.53x10^-5 W/kg, but numerous sources which I would otherwise consider authoritative give values which are closer to 3x10^-5 W/kg. I don't understand why our values are so different. I have calculated the heat released from many other radioisotopes (e.g. 235U, 232Th, etc.) without problems.

Am I correct, or where have I gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thus the mean heat released is about 1.33 MeV per decay.
This looks like the mean energy released. A significant fraction is released as neutrinos, which do not heat the material unless you happen to be in a neutron star or similar environments.

ok well the equations for 40K decay are

40K ---> 40Ca + e- + n + 1.31 MeV
40K+ e- ---> 40Ar + v + 1.51 MeV

where e- is an electron, n is an electron anti-neutrino, and v is an electron neutrino.

So if the energy indicated doesn't give you the heat, how do you calculate it?

You need the fraction of the energy which is released as neutrinos. For electron capture, this is nearly the whole energy. In the beta decay, electron and neutrino (not a neutron) share the released energy. The kinetic energy of the nucleus should be negligible here.
The positron annihilates afterwards, producing two gamma rays. If they get absorbed, they give additional 1.022 MeV.

1. What is the decay process of 40K atoms?

The decay process of 40K atoms is a type of radioactive decay called beta decay, where a neutron in the nucleus of the atom is converted into a proton, releasing an electron and an antineutrino.

2. How much heat is released from the decay of 1 kg of 40K atoms?

The heat released from the decay of 1 kg of 40K atoms depends on the specific activity of the sample, which is the rate of decay per unit mass. On average, 1 kg of 40K atoms can release around 2.2 watts of heat.

3. How does the heat released from 40K decay compare to other radioactive isotopes?

The heat released from the decay of 40K is relatively low compared to other radioactive isotopes. For example, the decay of 1 kg of 238U atoms can release around 95 watts of heat, while 1 kg of 232Th atoms can release around 13 watts of heat.

4. What is the significance of the heat released from 40K decay?

The heat released from 40K decay is not significant in terms of its potential to be used as a source of energy. However, it is important in understanding the Earth's internal heat budget, as 40K is a common element in the Earth's crust and contributes to its overall heat production.

5. Is the heat released from 40K decay harmful to humans?

The heat released from 40K decay is not harmful to humans, as it is a relatively small amount of heat and is easily dispersed in the environment. However, prolonged exposure to large amounts of radioactive isotopes can be harmful and should be avoided.