Heat transfer coefficient and ζ

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the heat transfer coefficient and calculating the energy required to vaporize a stony meteorite. It also mentions the thermodynamic properties of stony meteoroids and provides sources for further information on the topic.
PeterH
How do I find the heat transfer coefficient for a meteorite?
The meteorite is made of carboneus chondrite, but approximations with heat transfer coefficients for regular stones or rocky materials would be just as fine.

Furthermore, how would I calculate the energy required to vaporize 1 g of meteoric material, if the meteor had an initial temperature of 200 K? I haven't been able to find anything about at with temperature stones would evaporate (or if it's even possible for them to?) or their specific heat of vaporization.

This is what I know:
  • Stony meteorite, specific heat: c_sm = 1.2 * 10^3 J kg^-1 K^-1
  • Stony meteorite, thermal conductivity: k_sm = 2.0 W m^-1 K^-1
  • Stony meteorite, density: p_sm = 3.3 * 10^3 kg m^-3
  • Stony meteorite, melting point: T_sm = 1.7 * 10^3 K
  • Stony meteorite, specific melting heat: L_sm =2.6 * 10^5 J kg^-1
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Science news on Phys.org
I'm in a rush to go out but google found..

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1302.3666.pdf

For the thermodynamic properties
of μMETs we adopt values used in Bronshten (1983)
and Love & Brownlee (1991) for stony meteoroids: c = 103
J/(kg K) is the μMET specific heat, Hevap = 6.05 × 10^6
J/kg is the latent heat of vaporization.

Thanks! Just what I needed.

Possibly Google the word ablation.

What is the heat transfer coefficient?

The heat transfer coefficient, or h-value, is a measure of the rate at which heat is transferred across a surface. It is typically represented by the symbol "h" and has units of watts per square meter per degree Celsius (W/m2°C) in the SI system.

How is the heat transfer coefficient calculated?

The heat transfer coefficient can be calculated by dividing the heat flux (amount of heat transferred per unit time) by the temperature difference between the two sides of the surface. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the heat flux and temperature difference and using them to calculate h.

What factors affect the heat transfer coefficient?

The heat transfer coefficient is affected by the properties of the materials involved (such as thermal conductivity and surface roughness), the geometry and orientation of the surface, and the flow conditions (such as velocity and viscosity). It can also be influenced by external factors such as temperature gradients and radiation.

What is ζ in relation to heat transfer coefficient?

ζ (zeta) is the dimensionless Nusselt number, which is a parameter used to characterize the convective heat transfer coefficient. It takes into account the fluid properties, flow conditions, and geometry of the surface. It is defined as the ratio of convective heat transfer coefficient to the conductive heat transfer coefficient.

How can the heat transfer coefficient be increased?

The heat transfer coefficient can be increased by increasing the surface area, improving the thermal conductivity of the materials, and creating turbulent flow conditions. It can also be enhanced by adding fins or using heat transfer fluids with higher thermal conductivities.