Heat Transfer Question Interpretion

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a flat plate exposed to air flow. The total drag force on the upper surface is measured to be 2.4N, and the goal is to determine the average convection heat transfer coefficient and heat transfer rate between the upper surface and air. The question is raised about why the total surface area of the plate (32) is used in the calculations, when the problem states that only the upper surface is involved. It is suggested that the incorrect "solution" may have used a surface area of 16, leading to incorrect answers.
Caution
Post moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Help Template is shown
Hello, i have a simple question regarding a problem I am solving. Here it is:

A 4x4m flat plate maintained at a constant temperature of 80 degree Celsius subjected to parallel flow of air at 1 atm,20 degree celsius and 10m/s.The total drag force acting on the UPPER surface of plate is measured to be 2.4N.Using heat momentum transfer analogy,determine the average convection heat transfer coefficient and the rate of heat transfer between the UPPER surface of the plate and air.

I had the solution for this problem , however what i don't understand is that why is the total surface area used in the calculations 32(Which means both sides of the plate) WHEN it is clearly stated in the question that only the UPPER surface is involved. Can anyone enlighten me why is both sides of the plate used even though they said total drag force on the UPPER surface of plate is 2.4N and want us to determine the rate of heat transfer between the UPPER surface of plate and air. In my case i used 16 for surface area and subsequently got the wrong answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
This looks like a homework question to me.

Based on what you've written for the problem statement, only the upper surface's surface area should be taken into account, so it could be the "solution" you have is wrong.

What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object or system to another due to a difference in temperature.

What are the different methods of heat transfer?

The three main methods of heat transfer are conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through physical contact, convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

What factors affect the rate of heat transfer?

The rate of heat transfer is affected by the temperature difference between the two objects, the thermal conductivity of the materials, the surface area of contact, and the distance between the objects.

How is heat transfer used in everyday life?

Heat transfer is used in many everyday items, such as cooking, heating and cooling systems, and transportation vehicles. It is also used in industrial processes, such as power generation and manufacturing.

How does heat transfer relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics describe the relationship between heat, energy, and work. Heat transfer is a result of the second law of thermodynamics, which states that heat will always flow from a higher temperature to a lower temperature until thermal equilibrium is reached.