Heat transfer through an insulated steel wall due to hydrocarbon fire

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
u01sdr9
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Afternoon all,

I am interested to hear any and all suggestions as to how one would go about modelling the rise in temperature on the "safe" side of a wall, after a given time period over which the other side was exposed to a hydrocarbon pool fire.

The configuration I have been looking at consists of a steel surface exposed to the fire, mounted on an insulating layer.

I have a definition for the hydrocarbon fire curve, giving flame temperature at any given time and all material properties for the wall sections.

It would be great to hear what people think, cheers!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi u01sdr9. Welcome to Physics Forums.

This sounds like a straightforward transient heat conduction problem with time-dependent boundary conditions. More details about the system geometry and materials would be helpful to know whether it should include 2D, or whether a 1D model would be appropriate. Most likely, you would be pursuing a numerical solution.

chet
 
Is the fire lapping at the steel wall, or is it removed at a distance away. In either case the amount of radiation heat transfer from the hot gases to the steel wall would be something to consider.
 
The wall would consist of a 5mm thick steel layer exposed to the fire, backed by 90mm of insulation. I'm Assuming heat flux received by the wall would be uniform across the exposed area so I'm thinking a 1D model would suffice?

Apologies for my complete ignorance on this matter!
 
u01sdr9 said:
The wall would consist of a 5mm thick steel layer exposed to the fire, backed by 90mm of insulation. I'm Assuming heat flux received by the wall would be uniform across the exposed area so I'm thinking a 1D model would suffice?

Apologies for my complete ignorance on this matter!
Yes.