Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat transfer through an insulated steel wall due to hydrocarbon fire

1. May 7, 2014 #1
    Afternoon all,

I am interested to hear any and all suggestions as to how one would go about modelling the rise in temperature on the "safe" side of a wall, after a given time period over which the other side was exposed to a hydrocarbon pool fire.

The configuration I have been looking at consists of a steel surface exposed to the fire, mounted on an insulating layer.

I have a definition for the hydrocarbon fire curve, giving flame temperature at any given time and all material properties for the wall sections.

It would be great to hear what people think, cheers!

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2014 #2
    Hi u01sdr9. Welcome to Physics Forums.

This sounds like a straightforward transient heat conduction problem with time-dependent boundary conditions. More details about the system geometry and materials would be helpful to know whether it should include 2D, or whether a 1D model would be appropriate. Most likely, you would be pursuing a numerical solution.

chet

4. May 8, 2014 #3
    Is the fire lapping at the steel wall, or is it removed at a distance away. In either case the amount of radiation heat transfer from the hot gases to the steel wall would be something to consider.

5. May 11, 2014 #4
    The wall would consist of a 5mm thick steel layer exposed to the fire, backed by 90mm of insulation. I'm Assuming heat flux received by the wall would be uniform across the exposed area so I'm thinking a 1D model would suffice?

Apologies for my complete ignorance on this matter!

6. May 11, 2014 #5
    Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook