Heating Circuit troubleshooting

In summary, the person is seeking guidance for their circuit which consists of a microcontroller, SSR relay, and heaters. They are facing an issue where the heaters do not stop when the temperature reaches its cutoff point. The person has connected the outputs from the microcontroller into points 3 and 4 of the relay, with all lives into point 1 and all neutrals into point 2. They have measured a potential difference between points 3 and 4, but the relay LED light does not come on. They are unsure if the output is too low or if the relay is bad. The person is also unsure if the problem lies in their circuit, relay, or controller not providing enough output to activate the relay. They have provided
abhipatel
Needed some guidance for my circuit:

Have a circuit consisting of a microcontroller + SSR relay + load (heaters)...issue is when the temperature reaches cutoff the heaters are not getting stopped and temp. keeps on increasing...

I have a connection of outputs from microcontroller into points 3 and 4 of the relay...all lives into point 1 and all neutrals into point 2.

Have tried to measure potential difference between points 3 and 4 and it shows in Millivolts? Another thing is the relay LED light does not come on...is it because the output is too low (relay is 0-5 V logic) or could it be that the relay is bad?

Am scratching my head as I do not want to order another relay if it is not the problem...is it my circuit or my relay or is my controller not giving enough o/p in DC to activate the relay?

Engineering news on Phys.org
abhipatel said:
Needed some guidance for my circuit:

Have a circuit consisting of a microcontroller + SSR relay + load (heaters)...issue is when the temperature reaches cutoff the heaters are not getting stopped and temp. keeps on increasing...

I have a connection of outputs from microcontroller into points 3 and 4 of the relay...all lives into point 1 and all neutrals into point 2.

Have tried to measure potential difference between points 3 and 4 and it shows in Millivolts? Another thing is the relay LED light does not come on...is it because the output is too low (relay is 0-5 V logic) or could it be that the relay is bad?

Am scratching my head as I do not want to order another relay if it is not the problem...is it my circuit or my relay or is my controller not giving enough o/p in DC to activate the relay?

Would it be possible for you to post a schematic?

Am not much of an electrical guy but here it is in Word...see if it helps.

Attachments

• 1.doc
    29 KB · Views: 213
abhipatel said:
Am not much of an electrical guy but here it is in Word...see if it helps.

I'm not understanding your connections. You would not put Line in one pin and Neutral in the other on the SSR. That would short Line to Neurtal when the SSR was turned on. You would run Line through the relay, then through the load to Neutral.

What SSR are you using? Is it opto-isolated?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_state_relay

Could you please help me in figuring how to run Line through the relay, then through the load to Neutral in the form of a schematic or maybe just edit my diagram?...

I am still scratching my head and resorting to trial and errors...Thanks

This is a suggestion.

Attachments

• SSR.doc
    30.5 KB · Views: 185

1. What are the common causes of a malfunctioning heating circuit?

The most common causes of a malfunctioning heating circuit include faulty thermostats, damaged wiring, a malfunctioning heating element, or a tripped circuit breaker.

2. How can I troubleshoot a heating circuit that is not working?

First, check the thermostat to make sure it is set to the correct temperature. Then, check the circuit breaker to ensure it has not been tripped. If neither of these solutions work, you may need to call a professional to inspect the wiring and heating element.

3. What should I do if my heating circuit keeps tripping the breaker?

If your heating circuit keeps tripping the breaker, it could be due to a faulty heating element or damaged wiring. It is important to call a professional to inspect and repair the circuit to prevent any potential fire hazards.

4. How do I know if my heating circuit needs to be replaced?

If your heating circuit is frequently malfunctioning or requires frequent repairs, it may be time to consider replacing it. Additionally, if the circuit is old or outdated, it may not be as efficient as newer models and could benefit from an upgrade.

5. Can I troubleshoot and repair a heating circuit on my own?

In most cases, it is not recommended to troubleshoot and repair a heating circuit on your own. This type of work can be dangerous and should be left to a trained professional to ensure proper and safe repairs.