Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heating Circuit troubleshooting

1. Feb 25, 2010 #1
    Needed some guidance for my circuit:

Have a circuit consisting of a microcontroller + SSR relay + load (heaters).....issue is when the temperature reaches cutoff the heaters are not getting stopped and temp. keeps on increasing.....

I have a connection of outputs from microcontroller into points 3 and 4 of the relay.....all lives into point 1 and all neutrals into point 2.

Have tried to measure potential difference between points 3 and 4 and it shows in Millivolts???? Another thing is the relay LED light does not come on.......is it because the output is too low (relay is 0-5 V logic) or could it be that the relay is bad?

Am scratching my head as I do not want to order another relay if it is not the problem...is it my circuit or my relay or is my controller not giving enough o/p in DC to activate the relay?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Would it be possible for you to post a schematic?

4. Feb 25, 2010 #3
    Am not much of an electrical guy but here it is in Word.....see if it helps.

Attached Files:

• 1.doc
      1.doc
      File size:
      29 KB
      Views:
  5. Feb 25, 2010 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I'm not understanding your connections. You would not put Line in one pin and Neutral in the other on the SSR. That would short Line to Neurtal when the SSR was turned on. You would run Line through the relay, then through the load to Neutral.

What SSR are you using? Is it opto-isolated?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_state_relay

6. Mar 3, 2010 #5
    Could you please help me in figuring how to run Line through the relay, then through the load to Neutral in the form of a schematic or maybe just edit my diagram?....

I am still scratching my head and resorting to trial and errors...Thanks

7. Mar 3, 2010 #6
    This is a suggestion.

Attached Files:

• SSR.doc
      SSR.doc
      File size:
      30.5 KB
      Views:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook