1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heating & Cooling of Water

1. Mar 31, 2009 #1
    Ok so my question is about hot water in a home
    Lets say that I take a shower a shower and i use 20 gallons of water at 105* F
    If the hot water in my tank is at 140*F
    and my cold water comes in at 50*F

how much of hot (140*F) water did i use?
    How much cold (50*F) Water did i use?

Now this might be on the same formula but

lets take the volume of 140*F hot water that I used in my shower out of the hot water tank and replace it with the same volume of 50*F Cold water to refill the tank, what will the temperature in the tank be now if its a 80 Gal Tank? (don't worry about the burner bring it up to temp)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2009 #2
    This is a HW type problems and so will be moved from here.

4. Apr 1, 2009 #3
    I thought it was a thermo problem. Its not a HW type problem if that what your thinking, I own a company that sells solar products (PV & Thermal) and of all the pros and books out there i cant find much on this topic.

I wanted to develop a program that would be able to calculate how much hot water a house uses based on the number of showers, people and other items in a house that use hot water. by finding what the temperature in the tank falls to I can then calculate the BTU's and thus collectors needed to bring the thank back up to temperature.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook